Thread: Oz Unity-OzRedux64-Onyx64

Beans

Exclamation Oz Unity-OzRedux64-Onyx64

Preface:
    With the release of the Debut and Redux 64 remixes, feedback from users has been overwhelmingly encouraging, so much so that we decided to keep the journey going. Software should never remain stagnant, nor should anything in life. Complacency brings with it apathy and dependence followed by atrophy. "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Concept:
    To create an operating system which would target new users to Linux or computing in general. An easy to install system which is inviting and intuitive to use, enhanced with applications that the majority of users would require on a day by day basis, which could easily be tailored to any individuals needs. In creating this project, we would provide the nucleus of this system and through consultation with the public on our forum, continue to evolve into something that will become indispensable for personal computer users world wide. During this process, we would also like to teach you how to create your own system – Give a man a fish...

Installation:
    Burn the downloaded ISO 'image' to a DVD and then boot from the DVD. Alternatively if you don't have an optical drive, you can create a startup disk to USB flash drive and then boot your computer from there.

Known Issues:
    Intel Video - No issues encountered. Install and enjoy
    ATI Video - After install, please use kernel .38-10 or .38-11 (already provided as an option in 'Grub' boot screen). ATI are way behind regarding Kernel support
    NVidia - After install, proceed to your 'Home' folder and then to 'Post Install Info'. I have included the latest drivers and instructions for you.
    After driver installation, you may encounter strange 'plymouth' loading screens - same fix applies as per previous versions (how to fix ugly plymouth)
    In the menus, you will see an icon for 'Google Earth' - this has been removed at the last minute due to distribution licence. The icon slipped past us.

If you would like to be part of this project, you are more than welcome to do so in whatever form you would like. From a tester, suggester to artist and coder. It should be fun and informative and together we may well just change the world.

Licences:
    By downloading and using this system you acknowledge that Codecs, Flash and Java are pre installed and agree to their respective licences.

DVD Live Session:
    During the Live session, you will only be able to experience the 'Unity' environment. After install, you may choose either 'Unity' (Ubuntu) or 'Classic' dependent on your preferences.

Disclaimer:
    Oz Unity 2.0 - Onyx 64 is based on Canonicals Ubuntu 11.04. This is not a long term support base. As such, please treat this system with due caution. Whilst we've tried to test on as many different units as we could there is no guarantee it will work on all. If you like this remix, then GREAT! if not, thanks for trying but please don't 'hate' - we're simply trying to 'give back' to a community that has given us so much.

Credits:
    This has been a collaborative work, taking on board suggestions provided by the Ultimate Edition Oz Community. In great part, I would like to thank (In no particular order); Blackwolf, mmesantos1, INX, Guru Linux Riomhaire and Wind for their outstanding contributions, effort, diligence, motivation and friendship. Without them, we would not have this latest installment of Oz Unity. Take a bow gentlemen, you deserve it.

Download from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz...4.iso/download
    MD5Sum: 51b789981aabab87c8e6cfa119b788a8

Requirements:
    64 Bit Architecture Computer
    1Gb Ram (minimum)
    12Gb Available HDD
    Video Accelerator suggested but not essential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVcUtBqUt4
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Intel Core i7 2500K Quad Core
    Gigabyte Z68 UD4 Chipset
    EVGA Geforce GTX580 1536MB
    Corsair 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3, OCZ 120GB

Beans

Exclamation Re: Oz Unity-OzRedux64-Onyx64

BlackOpal 64 was released in June......32bit coming soon.

Download

Preface:
    The journey continues with the release of Black Opal 64. The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunities and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner-stone of a solid and honorable success. - Hamilton Wright Mabie.

Concept:
    To provide an operating system which would target new users to Linux or computing in general. An easy to install system which is inviting and intuitive to use, enhanced with applications that the majority of users would require on a day by day basis, which could easily be tailored to any individuals needs. In creating this project, we would provide the nucleus of this system and through consultation with the public on our forum, continue to evolve into something that will become indispensable for personal computer users world wide. During this process, we would also like to teach you how to create your own system – Give a man a fish...

Installation:
    Burn the downloaded ISO 'image' to a DVD and then boot from the DVD. Alternatively if you don't have an optical drive, you can create a startup disk to USB flash drive and then boot your computer from there.

Known Issues:
    Lenses and Scopes are a new addition and unfortunately at time of release still have a bit to go to be considered polished. Lenses and scopes do require an internet connection to function correctly. During your initial usage of these, you may encounter an 'Ubuntu has reported a crash' dialogue box. DO NOT PANIC! It is an annoyance only at this stage. If you continue past the error, it will settle down of it's own accord. As further updates come through, they will become stable. If you are annoyed by this, you can remove individual lenses and scopes if you wish via Synaptic - personally I felt it was too good an option to leave out so I left them in even though they may cause a hiccup or two. This does not affect the stability of the system at all.

If you would like to be part of this project, you are more than welcome to do so in whatever form you would like. From a tester, suggester to artist and coder. It should be fun and informative and together we may well just change the world.

Licences:
    By downloading and using this system you acknowledge that Codecs, Flash and Java are pre installed and agree to their respective licences.

DVD Live Session:
    During the Live session, you will be able to experience all the environments included. To do so, simply 'Log out' and when you a greeted by the Log In screen again, type in 'opal' as a user name, click on the Oz Logo and choose which environment you would like, then simply hit [enter] for the password (there is no password).

Disclaimer:
    Oz Unity 3.0 - Black Opal 64 is based on Canonicals Ubuntu 12.04. This is a long term support base. Whilst we've tried to test on as many different units as we could there is no guarantee it will work on all. If you like this remix, then GREAT! if not, thanks for trying but please don't 'hate' - we're simply trying to 'give back' to a community that has given us so much.

Credits:
    This has been a collaborative work, taking on board suggestions provided by the Ultimate Edition Oz Community. In great part, I would like to thank (In no particular order); Blackwolf, INX, Linuxfreack, Miguelsanchez666, mmesantos1, Wind, Delicadaz, cyberboy109, LinuxPusher and JOHNNYG for their outstanding contributions, effort, diligence, motivation and friendship. Without them, we would not have this latest installment of Oz Unity. Take another bow gentlemen.

MD5Sum: 9e29f16600b4dcdbd074bda4a3444be4

Requirements:
    64 Bit Architecture Computer
    1Gb Ram (minimum)
    13Gb Available HDD
    Video Accelerator suggested but not essential.
    Last edited by Blackwolf_Oz; August 25th, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Gigabyte Z68 UD4 Chipset

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Oz Unity-OzRedux64-Onyx64

Very nice ! Thanks from JOHNNYG and everyone at UltimateEditionOZ !!
    https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/fo...p=39239#p39239
    Last edited by JOHNNYG713; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Every human being is entitled to courtesy and consideration. Constructive criticism is not only to be expected but sought.
    Margaret Chase Smith
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/ke...UsiscTZadxs.99

With that in mind, here is my constructive criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by legend1264 View Post
    To create an operating system which would target new users to Linux or computing in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by legend1264 View Post
    Known Issues:
    Intel Video - No issues encountered. Install and enjoy
    ATI Video - After install, please use kernel .38-10 or .38-11 (already provided as an option in 'Grub' boot screen). ATI are way behind regarding Kernel support
    NVidia - After install, proceed to your 'Home' folder and then to 'Post Install Info'. I have included the latest drivers and instructions for you.
    After driver installation, you may encounter strange 'plymouth' loading screens - same fix applies as per previous versions (how to fix ugly plymouth)
    How is "After install, please use kernel .38-10 or .38-11 (already provided as an option in 'Grub' boot screen). ATI are way behind regarding Kernel support" targetting people who are completely new to computers or linux?

several questions come up:

a) what is after install
    b) what is a kernel
    c) what is .38-10 mean
    d) what is grub
    e) what is kernel support
    f) what's an ati/intel/nvidia

I think you should change your concept, to "an operating system targetting people who use linux".

I don't see any clear purpose for this distro, I see nothing that indicates that it's for newbies, the overuse of bling graphics and animations and gif's gives your website a myspace 2003 era look, this is very much a linux distro for linux users, nothing indicates that it's for newbies at all.

Try not to think of this as just criticism, because I'd like to see your project succeed.
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    Every human being is entitled to courtesy and consideration. Constructive criticism is not only to be expected but sought.
    Margaret Chase Smith
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/ke...UsiscTZadxs.99

With that in mind, here is my constructive criticism.

How is "After install, please use kernel .38-10 or .38-11 (already provided as an option in 'Grub' boot screen). ATI are way behind regarding Kernel support" targetting people who are completely new to computers or linux?

several questions come up:

a) what is after install
    b) what is a kernel
    c) what is .38-10 mean
    d) what is grub

I think you should change your concept, to "an operating system targetting people who use linux".

I don't see any clear purpose for this distro, I see nothing that indicates that it's for newbies, the overuse of bling graphics and animations and gif's gives your website a myspace 2003 era look, this is very much a linux distro for linux users, nothing indicates that it's for newbies at all.

Try not to think of this as just criticism, because I'd like to see your project succeed.
    For the moment, whilst I digest your "constructive criticism" I will make only one comment.

the overuse of bling graphics and animations and gif's gives your website a myspace 2003 era look
    I find extremely disrespectful.

Myself, along with a dedicated Administration & Moderator team, have spent 3 long, hard years, making the forum the one it is today. I, and to date, 1582 other members, are proud to call Oz home.

I am sure others from the same forum, will be along to make comment too.

60,150 downloads, NOT including torrents, speaks volumes in itself.
    Gigabyte Z68 UD4 Chipset

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf_Oz View Post
    For the moment, whilst I digest your "constructive criticism" I will make only one comment.

Myself, along with a dedicated Administration & Moderator team, have spent 3 long, hard years, making the forum the one it is today. I, and to date, 1582 other members, are proud to call Oz home.

I am sure others from the same forum, will be along to make comment too.

60,150 downloads, NOT including torrents, speaks volumes in itself.
    G'day all....new member, from the "2003 era myspace look" website..
    Agree with what BW said above...if you got better numbers....then criticize all you like http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2061664 would suggest different. That does not happen at Oz.
    a) what is after install
    Means after you double click the installer ...as instructed.....and the installer is finished...takes about the same time as the Ubuntu install. I would contend that anyone that has ever installed an OS would be quite clear on that.
    b) what is a kernel
    Fair. Windows users may not know.
    BUT to be investigating Linux at all this, and all the following kindergarten questions would be clear to anyone with an average IQ and an interest in computers in general.
    c) what is .38-10 mean
    d) what is grub
    Mate....really....

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi ikt.

"Everyone has worth. Everyones beliefs and points of view have merit and deserve recognition. I don't hold grudges and have no enemies. I speak my mind, hopefully in a respectful way and mean no harm or disrespect to others."

With that in mind, I thank you for your constructive criticism.
    I do agree with you that the Oz Unity remixes have now become much more than simply an OS for beginners.
    It all started as a project to create a system that my elderly mother could use (never touched a computer in her life) and with the release of Oz Unity Debut, it succeeded well beyond anyones expectations. In that respect, the above spiel which I wrote quite a while ago, holds true.

With every subsequent release, we focused on making each spin simple yet highly configurable if experienced users wished to do so. I do admit though that I dropped the ball with the writing of the spiel - my mistake and I will rectify that with our next release. Valid point and I sincerely thank you for pointing that out.

With regard to the website, well, personal preferences is all I can say. Considering none of us have ever created a web page, I think we did rather well. Keep in mind that we're not programmers, analysts or web developers and have a zero budget for getting outside help.

As to relevance, I think we've stumbled upon a niche. Not just with the remixes, but with the solution as a whole. You see, the forum we provide is much more than simply a place for questions and answers. We are also a social group and discuss a lot more than just the OS. We are friendly to all, even the trolls and we provide answers in a helpful and curteous manner. For me personally, I avoid forums like this one - not because the information is wrong or misleading, but more so for fear of being belittled for asking a question. I'm not the only one who feels this way. We are all Linux and we should all help each other and everyone who wishes to give it a go.

On a final note, I don't find any of your criticisms as rude or disrespectful. Instead it has opened up my thinking process on what needs to be done in order to continue the success we have enjoyed so far. I would ask (if you are willing) to have a good look around the total site and forum and try the remixes as well and let me know what else you would change. Join up and say hi.

Kind regards,
    Moebius.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwolf_Oz View Post

Many apologies, I did not mean to come across this way, simply, I find the forum theme as I see it is not as good as it could be, I'm unsure how else I could put it.

Quote Originally Posted by INNXX View Post
    if you got better numbers....then criticize all you like
    I'm not sure what popularity has to do with how a website looks, myspace was popular too?

Quote Originally Posted by Moebius28 View Post
    Considering none of us have ever created a web page, I think we did rather well. Keep in mind that we're not programmers, analysts or web developers and have a zero budget for getting outside help.
    The effort you have put in is commendable, and I don't want to disrespect what you guys offer at all, I think it's positively a good thing, even one of the best things about linux.

As to relevance, I think we've stumbled upon a niche. Not just with the remixes, but with the solution as a whole. You see, the forum we provide is much more than simply a place for questions and answers. We are also a social group and discuss a lot more than just the OS.
    And that's cool

Join up and say hi.
    It's inevitable that I will seeing more Australians using linux is definitely a good thing
    // Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread closed, no need to drag this back out.