Thread: Looking for more classic board, card, and casual games!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Smile Looking for more classic board, card, and casual games!

I'm "older" (in my 40's) and prefer casual and classic games - like card games (both traditional card games and trading card games), board games (especially in the classic strategy vein), puzzles and such. I'm not so much into the FPS arcade type stuff (I work in a high stress environment and have personal health issues so I like to relax when I get home).

I just upgraded the OS on my computer (to Xubuntu 11.04 for all you Ubuntu/Linux geeks out there). I transferred over Forge and Magarena to play M:TG TCG, and VBA (to play the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh TCG ROM's), and have all of my classic games set up - chess, checkers, backgammon, go, Pente, Hearts, Bridge, Reversi, Pasang Emas, and Aware (mancala). I've also put some puzzles and solitaire games there. As a casual game player, I'm interested in easy to learn and play games so I'm looking at Battle for Wesnoth as well as some simple "simulation" games like Dopewars, Project Football, and Bygfoot. Other suggestions, reviews of games that will run on Ubuntu, especially less well known "hidden gems" would be appreciated! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs up Re: Looking for more classic board, card, and casual games!

You simply can't do much better than Battle for Wesnoth (well, you can with Dominions 3, but I digress). Also look at lordsawar, MegaGlest (on playdeb), WARZONE 2100, Widelands, freeciv, freeconq. Just filter Synaptic for "strategy" and you'll find quite a few.

Welcome aboard!

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking for more classic board, card, and casual games!

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    You simply can't do much better than Battle for Wesnoth
    Beat me to it Once you have learnt Battle for Wesnoth, you won't need anything else. Having said that, the linux implementation of Backgammon is very good. And there is a website for all those classic board games like Settlers of Catan and lots more that you play with other people online.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thanks! I know Battle for Wesnoth is a great game, but I'm going to look at those suggestions you made as well.

In terms of the more casual variety, I found some great strategy board games like Hexxagon, Biloba, and Do'SSiZo'la as well as some fun looking looking games like Ceferino and Frozen Bubble, so I'll have to put up some reviews after I have tried them. I heartily recommend Pasang Emas as a very unique game in that genre (it is not in the respositories but is easily found by typing the name of the game in a search engine).

I'm also spending quite a bit of time playing chess (there is a good variety available on Ubuntu) and the other games - checkers, Pente, Go, backgammon also have game engines that are good enough for my level (probably because I'm not that good but I have fun anyways).

If anyone has any other suggestions in any of these genres that would be great.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Triple A is kind of like the classic Risk. FreeCiv is great. You have to buy Osmos, but it is meditative and relaxing.