Thread: What does "enable 32 bit mode" for 64 bit OS mean?

Beans

What does "enable 32 bit mode" for 64 bit OS mean?

I'm posting here first because I am new to Ubuntu, so please advise if there is a more appropriate forum. An application (AccuRev) I am installing on a 64 bit Ubuntu laptop is calling for me to verify that my 64 bit kernel has its "32 bit mode enabled". Can anyone tell me what such a mode on a 64 bit OS is? I thought all binaries ran for whatever target platform (32/64 bit) they were compiled for. It is also calling for glibc to be installed, and I understand that it goes by different name 'libc6', so I was thinking (assuming the name change is true) of simply creating a link glibc->libc6 to trick the app into using the libc6 file, but I don't know where they are located. The files I found with the libc6 in their names had longer names, and I don't know which one was the desired file. So am I just not savvy to the naming convention, or is my idea of creating a link just wrong? Thnx

Beans

Re: What does "enable 32 bit mode" for 64 bit OS mean?

All modern AMD and Intel CPUs can switch between 64 and 32-bit mode (with 64-bit OS). This means that you can run 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS (this holds for both Linux and Windows, not sure about Mac).

The Ubuntu kernel is properly configured for 32/64-bit compatibility.

However, applications do need system libraries compiled for their architecture. This many applications would require whole bunch of 32-bit libraries.

Open Synaptic Package Manager (in System -> Admin if you are using Gnome interface) and then look for
    Code:
    ia32-libs
    Install the package (it will install a whole bunch of stuff) and then you should be able to run your app.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    All modern AMD and Intel CPUs can switch between 64 and 32-bit mode (with 64-bit OS). This means that you can run 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS (this holds for both Linux and Windows, not sure about Mac).

The Ubuntu kernel is properly configured for 32/64-bit compatibility.

However, applications do need system libraries compiled for their architecture. This many applications would require whole bunch of 32-bit libraries.

Open Synaptic Package Manager (in System -> Admin if you are using Gnome interface) and then look for
    Code:
    ia32-libs
    Install the package (it will install a whole bunch of stuff) and then you should be able to run your app.
    Found ia32-libs, thnx 3Miro.

Beans

If that solves your problem, please mark the thread as [Solved], it helps us keep track.