Thread: Ubuntu keeps crashing...

Beans

Ubuntu keeps crashing...

Hi there,

I really like Ubuntu but this problem pisses me off. In a sudden, the monitor freezes and neither ctrl + alt + f2, nor ctrl + alt + del works. At the beginning I thought the problem was caused by FF and I switched to Chrome but then the problem consisted after a day or two. Then, I realized that whenever I scroll in the terminal (using the wheel) Ubuntu is more likely to crash. Finally, it crashes a lot when I work with gedit... Especially when I scroll or when I use the arrow keys to change bracket's position. It's being a month since I switched to Ubuntu and in the beginning, 2-3 crashes a day were OK, but now, especially when I work with gedit, it crashes every 5 min. What's wrong with Ubuntu? Any Help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu keeps crashing...

A lot of people on Natty reported this (although I can't seem to find the major thread about this right now), but I have seen no solution this far.

The best thing you can do is use another version (10.04, 10.10 or maybe the alpha 3 of oneiric).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I agree with sanderd17; I use 10.04, LTS. Just make sure that you Md5sum the ISO that you downloaded; then burn, at the slowest speed, to CD.
    Best of luck.
    Side

Beans

Yeah, apparently I'll be downgrading as a last solution. But just to contribute, I was surfing on the web for half an hour or so. Then I found a (so-called) solution, I tried it and re-opened my gedit to edit the file that I have. The file is 32kb large and when I scroll it, the system crashes immediately. Otherwise, it rarely crashes. So basically, it's either about an event that is caused by the action of scrolling (which I doubt since I was scrolling the web pages for a long time) or it's raised by gedit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps you're correct; to test, try going into Synaptic Package Mgr, and "completely removing" gedit. Then reinstall it. Doubtful, bit it might do the trick.
    Side

Beans

nope, wouldn't work. I tried to remove and re-install but the problem persists. I am pretty sure, there is a verbose text file and when I scroll it the computer just crashes. Is there any log file that keeps the errors?

Beans

It can also be something about Kernel. I mean, I was hitting RESIUB to reboot the computer and just before hitting the B key I tried to hit something else to see what will happen. I don't remember which one I hit but it was one of the bottom-left keys (Z,X,C,V in my keyboard). Then suddenly a text in command mode appeeared saying something similar to: "Kernel panic mode" sysrq_handle something something crashed. and a list of errors which I did not understand a single word Anyways that's all I could figure out

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have no idea what is causing this

But I do know that RAM problems can cause similar symptoms. To check your RAM boot live CD and run memtest, at least one full pass, preferably three.
    ASRock P67 Extreme6, Intel i5 2500K, 8GB RAM, nVidia 6600GT, 4x1TB RAID1+0

Beans

I recommend ubuntu 10.04 there u still can get updates and it`s` works perfectly, i tryed from 9.04 to 11.04 but most tability was 10.04

the best regards