Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should be obvious by now / upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: should be obvious by now / upgrade

I'm still somewhat perplexed about exactly what purpose Win8 will serve. I don't understand why they are still trying to push the Metro UI onto all of their devices as I suspect it would be incredibly annoying on anything but a tablet (or slate in MS parlance), and I worry that the Classic (Aero) interface will be as chaotic as it was in Win7, or even worse, that it will actually *be* the Win7 interface without at least some justification for the upgrade from a GUI standpoint.

I believe MS has stated that Win8 will have similar or slightly lower system requirements than Win7, but I think this needs to be taken with a few tons of salt. Either way, I'm sure it will snack vigorously on the host system's RAM. It will also be another fun case study in designed obsolescence, a field in which Microsoft has been losing the crown in recent years to Apple.

As harsh as this may all seem, I find Win7 usable as an operating system, other than the usual complaints with which I am sure you are already well-acquainted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by chegarty View Post
    I believe MS has stated that Win8 will have similar or slightly lower system requirements than Win7, but I think this needs to be taken with a few tons of salt. Either way, I'm sure it will snack vigorously on the host system's RAM. It will also be another fun case study in designed obsolescence, a field in which Microsoft has been losing the crown in recent years to Apple.
    An adaquete assumption. I'm sure Win8 will not close the gap between MS and Apple either way. Apple's just too trendy for MS to keep up.
    There is a light that never goes out...over and over again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I wonder if you'd have to run anti-virus/firewall on a Windows tablet?
    That'd really suck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lancest View Post
    I wonder if you'd have to run anti-virus/firewall on a Windows tablet?
    That'd really suck.
    Anything Windows related that connects to the Internet would need anti virus/firewall software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This really isn't a Testimonial or an Experience, just an observation. Moved to the Cafe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

(or slate in MS parlance)
    Slate's also a more specific term. Tablet refers to the portable one-pieces like iPad, but also the older style of laptops with rotating touchscreens that can cover the keyboard. I personally prefer the term slate, honestly.

As for the main topic, Windows 7 reported higher system requirements but only because Vista's were blatantly incorrect, and 7 actually runs lighter than Vista. I believe 8 is supposed to be another step down. And frankly, I don't know that most people notice or can distinguish what version of Windows they're actually running. People out in the uninitiated Windows world buy new computers, not new operating systems. The average user certainly doesn't think, "hmm, Windows has just released a new version. I should install Linux."

A good thing for the world if there were more projects out there to collect obsoleted models, slap on Linux, and donate them to schools and things, but that's largely not the universe we inhabit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12