Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mythbuntu on Pentium4 Dell budget box?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Mythbuntu on Pentium4 Dell budget box?

+1 on the GX280 - I use it as a FE. No issues whatsoever for 720p/1080i. I paid $60 for mine, and it is perfect.
    April 28, 2011: Farewell GNOME, you served us well.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'd like to toss my two-cents in here also. My backend/frontend is a homebuild that I did in 2003. It has 2GB of RAM (PC2100) and an AMD Athalon XP 1800+ with an ATI Radeon 9550 card in it. The tuners on the cards (Hauppage HVR-1600) handle the processing for the videos, so that's more than enough for recording (although I haven't tried watching live TV while recording another show yet). It has, however, been recording two shows at one time on a regular schedule (typically Tuesday nights in the past viewing season). I also haven't tried hooking it up to an actual television yet, so your mileage may vary.

I put a new power supply in, so it's quieter than you'd think (although it's not silent by any means). And it has regular PCI slots+ and AGP 2/4 slot for the video card.

Anyhow, my point is that while newest is better, you CAN make an older computer work (if nothing else, until you can afford something newer). It may not be awesome, but it is doable.

Have a great weekend, and best of luck with your setup
    Patrick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    For me buying used is a waste as even today's budget boxes could destroy a old PC in terms of speed. Why pay $200 for an old PC when you can build a new one for just as much using low spec parts.
    ---The thing is that those small form factor boxes fit really nice and out of the way for the price. If I try using those small cube boxes (Apevia type) they cost more and using one of those netbook desktops isn't worth the hassle. I wouldn't use an Atom based if I use something new.

I currently got my old Thinkpad X40 to play videos, but I need speakers since it only a a tiny 1" speaker
    Mac user - Linux noob - Haiku tester
    Pentium E6300 2.8GHz / 2GB RAM / 160-80GB HDs / 512MB GeForce 8400 GS / iMic Audio
    Mac OS 10.7.5 / Ubuntu Studio 12.04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12