Thread: ie7 and photoshop on natty?

Beans

ie7 and photoshop on natty?

Hi all,

A question specifically for web developers and designers using Ubuntu:

I know there are many related discussions already on the subject, but can someone give me their take on how painful (or not painful) it is to get IE7 and photoshop working well on natty?

Predictably, I need IE and photoshop for front end web development tasks. I know it's *possible* to make them work, but it's hard getting a sense of the degree of difficulty and whether I'll get them working but then run into problems down the line. Does anyone (web developers & designers) have IE7 and photoshop running on Ubuntu in a way that they're happy with?

Everyone else at my new job uses a Mac. I'm just trying to get a sense of whether I should go ahead and learn to use a Mac (and learn several new programs to replace what I'm used to in Ubuntu) or whether to press on with trying to get IE7 and photoshop working in Ubuntu. I'm also concerned that I may get IE and photoshop working and then realize there is something else I'm missing.

I've only been using Ubuntu for a few months, but am pretty comfortable with it by now. Previously I was using Windows XP.

Thank you,
    Ryan

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: ie7 and photoshop on natty?

I don't know about IE7, but I know that Adobe CS3 works nicely in WINE. Not sure about newer versions though. Just curious but why would you want to use IE?
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Link below is to the WineHQ site for Adobe photoshop:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=17

Also, I've read that using WineTricks will allow you to install IE7 -- but sorry, don't use Wine, so I don't have the details.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Link below is to the WineHQ site for Adobe photoshop:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=17

Also, I've read that using WineTricks will allow you to install IE7 -- but sorry, don't use Wine, so I don't have the details.
    For IE7 the easiest is probably just to use a virtual machine, assuming you're just using it to test web pages you're designing.

After having used my father's Mac, I would say learn to use that if your job will provide you with it. It's a good OS, and if your job's paying for it then the price doesn't matter. An added benefit would be that you can collaborate better with colleagues if you're all using the same software and OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by b2zeldafreak View Post
    For IE7 the easiest is probably just to use a virtual machine, assuming you're just using it to test web pages you're designing.
    Correct, I need it for cross browser testing. Not sure what a virtual machine is. Dual boot? I don't want a dual boot system.

Quote Originally Posted by b2zeldafreak View Post
    After having used my father's Mac, I would say learn to use that if your job will provide you with it. It's a good OS, and if your job's paying for it then the price doesn't matter. An added benefit would be that you can collaborate better with colleagues if you're all using the same software and OS.
    Yeah, it might be best to just switch to Mac at work to keep in sync with everyone else here. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thumbs down Re: ie7 and photoshop on natty?

Quote Originally Posted by webcomm View Post
    Correct, I need it for cross browser testing. Not sure what a virtual machine is. Dual boot? I don't want a dual boot system.

Yeah, it might be best to just switch to Mac at work to keep in sync with everyone else here. Thanks.
    A Virtual machine is an operating system within an operating system.

Ie- install virtual box then, say you run ubuntu 10.10, download the natty.iso file. Then go into virtual box, locate the image, and it will generate a virtualnsystem...

Hope to be of service....

x-D
    Choose Freedom, Choose Linux, Choose Ubuntu.