Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wine: steam works, yet HL:2 / CS:S doesnt. ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Exclamation wine: steam works, yet HL:2 / CS:S doesnt. ?

first i must mention that this is a fresh install of dapper, with all upto date updates included also.

i have wine installed, then getting all the fonts, activeX controls and mozcontrol something.. and instmsia or whatever its called. then steam is installed, then downloaded all the hl2 & cs:s files. and it all appears to be working correctly. i can run steam and it shows up and all that jazz,

when i try to launch the actual game, it will load the initial loading image then just drop back to the desktop with my resolution changed to 1024x768.. has anyone else had something similair happen? i have included a the log from the console i launched "wine steam.exe" from..., i dont know if it means anything, i have also tried launching it with -dxlevel 80 and -dxlevel 70 and neither make a difference where it says directX 9 is unavailable..

Code:
    stanna@machine:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam$ wine steam
    fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer support MIDI in. Not supported yet (please report)
    fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59} could be created for for context 0x1
    fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59}, hres is 0x80040154
    fixme:process:SetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,-1,-1): stub - harmless
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_GetDeviceCaps Caps support for directx9 is nonexistent at the moment!
    fixme:midi:OSS_MidiInit Synthesizer support MIDI in. Not supported yet (please report)
    fixme:d3d:IWineD3DImpl_GetDeviceCaps Caps support for directx9 is nonexistent at the moment!
    fixme:ole:CoInitializeSecurity ((nil),-1,(nil),(nil),0,3,(nil),0,(nil)) - stub!
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} not registered
    err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24} could be created for for context 0x1
    fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {4590f811-1d3a-11d0-891f-00aa004b2e24}, hres is 0x80040154
    fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_LoadKeyboardLayout L"00000409", 0000: stub!
    wine: Call from 0x2a00c490 to unimplemented function d3d9.dll.D3DPERF_SetOptions, aborting
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'u:\projects\staging\src\launcher_main\Release\launcher_main.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\launcher\Release\launcher.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\vstdlib\Release\vstdlib.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\tier0\Release\tier0.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\filesystem\filesystem_stdio\Release_Steam\filesystem_steam.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'u:\p4clients\rel_beta\Projects\GazelleProto\Client\Engine\VC70_Release_Static\SteamEngine.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\datamodel\Release\datamodel.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\dmserializers\Release\dmserializers.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\datacache\Release\datacache.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\inputsystem\Release\inputsystem.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\materialsystem\Release\materialsystem.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\studiorender\Release\studiorender.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\vphysics\Release\vphysics.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\avi\Release\valve_avi.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'u:\rel\hl2\src\vguimatsurface\Release\vguimatsurface.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\vgui2\src\Release\vgui2.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\engine\GLRelease\engine.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'c:\steam3_rel_client\src\steam_api\Release\steam_api.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'U:\rel\hl2\src\materialsystem\shaderdx8\Release\shaderapidx9.pdb'
    fixme:dbghelp:sffip_cb NIY on 'u:\p4clients\taylor_pubkeys\ThirdPartyCode\DebugNet\Release\BugslayerUtil.pdb'
    wine: Call from 0x7fc0e770 to unimplemented function dbghelp.dll.SymGetSymFromAddr64, aborting
    fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!
    fixme:process:SetProcessWorkingSetSize (0xffffffff,-1,-1): stub - harmless
    Last edited by stanna; May 27th, 2006 at 04:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: wine: steam works, yet HL:2 / CS:S doesnt. ?

i have the same thing happen to me in ubuntu 5.10 (not that its gonna help you), it just loads the cs:s loading image, then crashes to desktop.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

I have found a promising HOWTO, but as I don't have the game, I can't test it. Have a look:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...DEX+Wine+Games

If you solve it, please let us know. I'm interested in 'wining' one upcoming game on Source engine.
    Last edited by B0rsuk; May 28th, 2006 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thats a nice link B0rsuk, thanks for that. ill check it out as soon as i can when i get home tonight. i was forced to make a little windowsXP partition once again just to place counter-strike. i was hoping to be linux only over the weekend, but i was forced back again but i will continue to try getting all this working.

thanks again, and ill get back to you as soon as i can. lets hope it works!

Beans

I have a similar problem since wine 0.9.14 or last CSS update (May 25).

Code:
    wine: Call from 0x2a00c490 to unimplemented function d3d9.dll.D3DPERF_SetOptions, aborting
    wine: Call from 0x7fc0eb30 to unimplemented function dbghelp.dll.SymGetSymFromAddr64, aborting
    I have found a promising HOWTO, but as I don't have the game, I can't test it. Have a look:

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...X+Wine+G ames
    It's only a installation howto.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by ubu-for
    It's only a installation howto.
    From the very article you didn't care to read:

Q: I'm on Ubuntu Breezy, SuSE 10.0 or another older distro with a kernel 2.6.14 or older. Steam randomly freezes.

Use uname -r to check your kernel version. If it's older than 2.6.15, upgrade to kernel 2.6.15 or newer.

Q: Wine crashes with the following line: wine: Call from 0x404b1fa0 to unimplemented function dbghelp.dll.SymGetSymFromAddr64, aborting

You have got the wrong mozilla control. Read the howto more carefully, especially the section 3.
    Last edited by B0rsuk; May 30th, 2006 at 04:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk
    I followed the article exactly, and still get this error, although the "call from" part is different. Did the original poster get this working? This is using dapper so I'm not sure if I should start a new thread seeing how similar the error is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I followed the article exactly, and still get this error, although the "call from" part is different. Did the original poster get this working? This is using dapper so I'm not sure if I should start a new thread seeing how similar the error is.
    mejy, i am running dapper.. when posting this i didnt have the option to say the exact ubuntu i was using.. anyway, i am still having the same problem even tho i have gone thru all guides and done exactly what is required. perhaps the download link is just the wrong file coz i keep getting the same error... kind of annoying, so i did have to resort to re-creating a minimal windowsXP partition just for steam alone, and i find myself using it more and more now, coz id do some web dev, play cs:s for an hour then continue to do some web work, eventualy i got sick of restarting constantly so im almost back to being a windows user, which is a shame really.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ok this shows what a 'Newbi' that I am. How do I extract the mozila controls to the write protected ~/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/? I have tried all my limted commands to get them installed. Any help would be greatlly appreciated!

Regards,
    Chris

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by B0rsuk

Q: I'm on Ubuntu Breezy, SuSE 10.0 or another older distro with a kernel 2.6.14 or older. Steam randomly freezes.

Use uname -r to check your kernel version. If it's older than 2.6.15, upgrade to kernel 2.6.15 or newer.

Q: Wine crashes with the following line: wine: Call from 0x404b1fa0 to unimplemented function dbghelp.dll.SymGetSymFromAddr64, aborting

You have got the wrong mozilla control. Read the howto more carefully, especially the section 3.
    I didn't care to read?

Open your eyes! Your quote is not from this thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast