Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Dell Vostro V131

Beans

Re: Dell Vostro V131

i did all the stuff like enabling rc6 etc, just google ubuntu power saving tweaks

Beans

My Vostro V131 is unable to recognize an usb 3.0 hard drive connected at boot (I only using the command line interfase and fdisk -l only shows the internal drive). Just when it's disconnecting and reconnecting is recognized (and fdisk -l shows the drive), and only at a speed of USB 2.0. This happens with all distributions and kernels I've tried. In any case, using a USB 2.0 cable, the unit is recognized at boot and it works fine, but only as USB 2.0. How could this laptop be certified?

Beans

FYI, someone started to work on a driver for the freefall sensor:
    http://sonalsantan.blogspot.de/2012/...-on-linux.html

EDIT: The updated version works perfectly. It includes the needed kernel module and userspace application.
    Last edited by Whoopie; September 22nd, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Beans

Hi to all,

after some time spent with ubuntu I can say that with my everyday usage of the machine (working Eclipse IDE + Web surfing + reading some pdf) i can get around 4, 4,5 hours of battery life.

I'm pretty satisfied, although there are some issue like LCD light/ wifi and bluetooth status that aren't stored after a reboot.

Now i have in mind to buy an ssd (samsung 830, 128gb), but I can't work with hybernation (I think that with an ssd device hybernation is an important thing). Do you have problem with hybernation too?

Beans

Anyone tried 12.10 fresh install?

Beans

I've installed ubuntu 12.10 (64bit) on my vostro v131 (core i5 sandy bridge, 8gb ram, 128 gb ssd) and i can assure you that the system works quite good!

Currently I discover only that the fan is continuously working....the Jupiter applet don't works properly (I removed it beacuse it notify continuously change of of status of screen/cpu that didn't happen and the boot time increase from 10s to ~30s).
    To replace Jupiter I tried indicator-cpufreq, but I don't see changes in the power consumption. The fan is everytime working at the maximum speed, and also the processor; with 12.04 this didn't happen. With 12.04 I can get 5 hours of work with the battery, with 12.10 no more than 3,5.

Beans

Re: Dell Vostro V131 - xubuntu 12.10

I upgraded a clean install xubuntu (64 bit) 12.04 system to 12.10. HDMI works very well, better than I remember on 12.04 although it's not something I used other than to test.

Suspend and hibernating seem noticeably slower with 12.10

Beans

Is there any way to increase the sensitivity of the brightness settings on the V131?

I'd like to have more than just FIVE levels of brightness. I have SEVENTEEN levels of volume.

This seems sort of silly. I'd love to have 17 levels with which to adjust brightness also, because 5 doesn't give me the best settings for my environment typically.

Beans

Re: Dell Vostro V131 - xubuntu 12.10

The kernel upgrade to 3.5.0-18 improved the suspend and hibernate times. The system something returns from sleep with an unlocked screen.

The fan runs more often than not even with no load on the CPU.

Beans

Upgraded form presice to quantal and HDMI stoped working, previously with 12.04 worked perfectly. But now WIFI started working on channel 12 and 13. There must be a trick to fix this!

3.5.0-21-generic

Cheers.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast