Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dell Vostro V131

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Dell Vostro V131

Quote Originally Posted by rbarra View Post
    Hi all,

I've read the complete thread and still don't know if someone is having serious issues with Ubuntu 12.04.

What kind of problems are you having? Can anybody help me with some feedback on that?

Thank you very much.
    Hi I just installed fresh Ubuntu precise on my Dell V131, no serious problem. As previous thread, battery lifetime, and fingerprint is the problems.

My Dell come with Natty, if i have upgraded to oneiric and also precise, i got many error in unity system. So, at this time i recommended you do fresh install instead of upgrading to oneiric/precise.

Hopefully i have solutions soon

Beans

Hi udienz,

How much battery life are you getting? What do you mean by "fingerprint"?

Hi frandu,

Did you solve the HDMI problem?

Regards!

Beans

Hey all. I've been using my Dell Vostro V131 on Xubuntu 11.10 and here a few observations so far:

- Kernel 2.6.38 appears to be the oldest Kernel I'm able to use. Anything older and I'll have boot issues or resolution problems.

- Kernel 3.2 gives Wifi issues. I'm not able to connect to any networks. Tried messing with the Realtek drivers but still wasn't able to get it work.

- Using Kernel 2.6.38 I get about 5 to 6 hours of battery life on 64-bit Xubuntu 11.10. Everything works except the fingerprint reader of course. One weird thing is Xubuntu thinks the laptop has bluetooth so that icon is always appearing.

I noticed the certified version of Ubuntu for this laptop is a 32-bit version of 11.10. I'm curious as to why it isn't 64 bit being that the laptop uses a 2nd gen Sandy Bridge i3 or i5. I added an extra 4GBs of RAM and a 120GB SSD to the laptop which is why I went with 64-bit... although I'm sure the 32-bit will install PAE to support the extra RAM. If anyone here is using the 32-bit 11.10 certified I'd love to hear your experience with battery life. If its better than the 5-6 hours I might consider switching and changing the UI to Xfce.

Beans

I tried 12.04 on my V131 with 8GB of memory and a 160GB SSD. The fan runs far too much under the standard kernel and the battery life suffers greatly. I can get 9 hours of real use out of it easily in Win-doze 7 and I actually need the fingerprint reader, so those issues make Ubuntu unusable for me.

Beans

Hello all,

sorry for disappearing in the forum. I still didn't solved the HDMI issue. In fact, I reinstalled Win 7 to another partition and upgraded my RAM to 8GB. Why I did this? Home-Work as video editor (Adobe Premiere, Illustrator and Photoshop are my main reasons).

Best for all,

Beans

Hello,

12.04 LTS 64 bit is now certified by Dell:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...e/201105-8049/

Anyone tried or planning to try it?

Beans

No one?

I did a fresh install and it runs quite good. Even the HDMI, my previous issue, is OK now.

Beans

Hi! I'm new here

I tried the Ubuntu 11.10 and 12.04 32 bit version on my vostro v131 but I can't say that the machine works well...
    With the 12.04 I see improvements with the battery life, but the fan go continuously at the maximum speed and the laptop results too hot anyway. Do you have the same problem? If not you can explain me how can I fix it?

After an hour the machine results uncomfortable to be used (the touchpad area seems like an electrical oven!)

Thanks!

Beans

why use i386 when you can use amd64 ?
    i have amd64 12.04 LTS on my v131
    yes, it runs hotter than i expected but nothing i'd worry about and i dunno how it behaves when running windows 7

overall i'm very satisfied with the laptop/ubuntu combo, runs super fast (i have an i5/ssd version)

Beans

Thanks for the answer! I will try the 64 bit version in the next days.
    I want to ask you if you have edited a proper power consumption profile to work efficently with your machine.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast