Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Vostro V131

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Dell Vostro V131

How many hours is the battery life with one starndard ubuntu-desktop (11.04)?
    Vote for: Focus more on stability and bugfixing in the LTS releases.!!
    http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7862/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi,

Mine just arrived a couple days ago, and now I'm very tempted to upgrade to 11.10. But I want someone else to do it first...

Beans

I would like to know how the fan is behaving with 10.11 and how silent the whole notebook is with an SSD installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Karl S. View Post
    Hi,

Mine just arrived a couple days ago, and now I'm very tempted to upgrade to 11.10. But I want someone else to do it first...
    Just download it and run it from a USB Pen as a "Live CD", if it works there it should work fine if you upgrade
    OpenDungeons a open source game in the style of Dungeon Keeper

Beans
    Distro

I just ended up installing it! Which was perhaps foolish. But so far it seems to be working fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sojusnik View Post
    I would like to know how the fan is behaving with 10.11 and how silent the whole notebook is with an SSD installed?
    I'm using 11.04. The fan works fine, and the drive is bearly audible. All in all excellent compatibility, very good performance. I swapped to a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid hard disk with small SSD onboard), and the performance improved noticeably. The maximum brightness of the screen could be better, but the keyboard is excellent.

Beans
    Distro

11.10 report:

overall brilliant, no huge complaints. Some graphics problems: I get thin black bars across the screen from time to time, and occasionally the system freezes. I'm guessing it's a problem between this kernel and Sandy Bridge graphics...? I don't want to tweak anything yet, though, in the hopes that a fix will be showing up soon.

Beans

I have been running 11.10 for two weeks, and did a clear install. (Wiped windows 7).

I am extremely happy with the Vostro, Intel I5, 2gb ram and 320gb harddrive. Did not want to spend 400$ extra on the ssd-drive.

I bought it with backlight in the keyboard, which is extremely handy at night,

All shortcut keys are working ("fn+f2" etc).

So in my opinion its a nice buy, though the fan is running at, what seems, 100% most at the time, though the CPU is "inactive". But I quess/hope there will be a fix soon.

/Mads

Beans
    Hidden!

I did a clean install without even booting the windows setup so I don't know how long the battery it's supposed to last but I managed to get the battery life up to 6.30-7h on a v131 (without the SSD) using the jupiter applet and passing additional options to grub as suggested by this post. Basically, you need to modify /etc/default/grub, replacing the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT with this one (I also enabled usb autosuspend by default, which apparently isn't normally):

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash pcie_aspm=force usbcore.autosuspend=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i1915_enable_fbc=1"
    (you'll need to run update-grub2 after editing that file, or the changes won't be applied)

I had a couple of freezes since then, I believe it's one of the i915 options (the original post suggested that they are disabled by default because of some stability issues, so this may very well be the case). I'm now trying to understand which options causes the freeze by running the system with only one option enabled each time, but I still didn't figure it out at this time.

Other than that, everything it's working flawlessly except:
    • the fingerprint reader isn't working, as there are no drivers available.
    • the hand-over-keyboard sensor isn't working (is it a sensor, that thing just over the touchpad? I didn't boot into windows so I don't know for sure, but it looks like it). Anyway, enabling the relevant option on gnome3 (disable touchpad while typing), doesn't work.
    • finally, the hybernation doesn't work. It works one out of ten times, the resuming step fails and the system reboots itself automatically. At least for me, this is the most prominent drawback.

Beans

Hello, after a long search in the forum I am posting in this thread hoping that #1 my questions are relevant and #2 I am not imposing since I am a complete novice with Ubuntu and my questions might be rudimentary to most of you.

I have recently purchased a Vostro V131 (i3 2330 cpu, 2Gb ram, 320Gb 7200rpm HD) with Ubuntu preinstalled. My question is:

How do I go about installing Windows 7, in dual boot mode, thus preserving the existing Ubuntu installation?

At 1st boot, after the DELL - F2 screen, I was presented with a purplish screen with 4 selections. Two Ubuntu options (one normal one recovery) and two memory test options (one normal, one with console(?)). I went with #1, the defaul selection, after the 10 sec countdown, e.g. "Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.38-8-generic".

It went through the DELL intitial setup and then the Ubuntu configuration. It also asked me if I wanted to created recovery media so I did that on a USB drive. This step took a while. Finally, it booted into the Ubuntu desktop.

I had never been in a Ubuntu environment before, but it felt intuitive enough. For the most part everything worked, including networking and wireless.

So, where and how do I go from here? I would like to keep this Ubuntu installation and get to know it, but in the meantime I need a "windoze" platform so I can do my work as well.

Can you please help me, I appreciate all responses in advance.

Thank you!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast