Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Vostro V131

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Dell Vostro V131

Thank you very much for the details, now I will definitely buy this notebook

Could you give all the specs of the laptop you bought please? (Cpu, graphics, wifi, etc.)?

And also its model number, e.g. like N0913101, the last two digits is variable across model, i think.

Thanks
    Last edited by svenskmand; September 4th, 2011 at 09:25 PM.
    OpenDungeons a open source game in the style of Dungeon Keeper

Beans

Please don't use my specs or anyone else's, as Dell may sell different configurations in various geographies.

I have the i5 CPU, 4G ram, upgraded to 500G disk. Graphics is always intel onboard graphics, HD3000 or HD2000 depending on CPU.

Very important: red exterior casing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks, mervinb, for this write up!

Would you mind commenting on fan noise and activity on your V131?
    I read somewhere that the fan kicks in with light activities like web browsing. Do you notice this in your unit?

Just to confirm, the touchpad works fine? You can even disable clicking with double tap (unlike the problematic V130)?

Thanks again!

Beans

The fan noise is excellent (low / very low, by my ears). I have an awful Studio 15 1537 that makes a huge noise (W7 and ubuntu, with latest BIOS). The V131 is much quieter, close(r) to silent.

I don't use the touchpad other than in standard mode, and it works fine.

The sleep issues can be a problem for some. I'm using xfce or openbox with xscreensaver, and when xscreensaver kicks in (due to a signal??) the keyboard repeat issue appears. If I just suspend the system using pm-suspend, the resume works fine, with the keyboard waking up with autorepeat.

Even though the V131 is 'new', there are already a lot of driver updates from Dell (for Wind*ws) including a revised BIOS, most at 'urgent' level. I hope the V131 gains a lot of ubuntu users. It's a sure way of getting attention for the niggling keyboard wakeup issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Just installing on a new V131....

My V131 has no CD/DVD so I attached a USB DBD drive, but was unable to boot from this at first. The process would dump me into BusyBox (initramfs) saying "No media found" (or similar).

Eventually I read somewhere that the live CDs cannot boot in a USB3 socket, and when I switched to the single USB2 socket it all worked perfectly.

Right now, I'm obliterating the Windows 7 installation that came pre-installed, and replacing with 11.04. The Unity desktop has correctly identified the 3D graphics environment, sound seems to work, and the wifi has connected happily.

So far, so good!

Beans

Hi,

could someone post the lsusb and lspci output? I'm interested in the hardware details.

Nevermind, I found the information here.

Thanks in advance,
    Whoopie
    Last edited by Whoopie; September 20th, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

Beans

Some good news. With the latest 2.6.38 generic kernel for natty pushed out a day or two ago, I now get perfect sleep and resume with gnome-power-saver. That addresses the only hardware compatibility issue I've noticed.

Please be aware that I have not tested HDMI output yet though.

Beans

Hi,

I also bought the V131. The following components are not yet working:

- fingerprint reader (Validity VFS5011, no driver for fprint available)
    - 3 function keys in the up right corner
    - accelerometer (I haven't found out which STMicrosystems chip it is, it's shown as ACPI SMO8800 device)

Best regards,
    Whoopie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Whoopie, thanks for sharing this information!

How do you like the laptop with Ubuntu for now? What's your general impression?
    Can you comment on heat and fan activity too?
    Thanks a lot!

Beans

Hi,

just bought a V131, too. Now i wonder what to do to use cool multi touch gestures like pinch zoom under Natty just like under preinstalled W7? Does it work for anyone else? I can only enable two finger scrolling...

Thanks! =)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast