Thread: Best Android phone for Ubuntu tethering?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Best Android phone for Ubuntu tethering?

Hi! I'm in the market for a new phone. I'd like to go with Android, and I'd like to get one that I know I can tether with Ubuntu. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably I would be able to tether it without rooting the phone, but if that's out of the question I'm sure I can manage. I'd just like to get one that I know I'm going to be able to tether with. Any any all recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway. . .
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Best Android phone for Ubuntu tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by pi.boy.travis View Post
    Hi! I'm in the market for a new phone. I'd like to go with Android, and I'd like to get one that I know I can tether with Ubuntu. Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably I would be able to tether it without rooting the phone, but if that's out of the question I'm sure I can manage. I'd just like to get one that I know I'm going to be able to tether with. Any any all recommendations will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    most phones probably will work with the default android tether option but I didn't have any success with my samsung galaxy ace, network manager did connect to the phone but internet did not work so I installed the easy tether app and finally internet did work.
    other samsung galaxy models are known to work well without the need to install any tether app.

Beans

I use a google nexus one and works fine for USB tethering and as a WIFI hotspot.

I am running Gingerbread but worked fine before i upgraded to GB.

I dont use it often but works fine when i do.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check out the Samsung Galaxy, never tried that one before. I stopped to drool in the presence of the Nexus S at a Best Buy once, I would only need to force myself to pony up the cash for it. I know it'd be well worth the price. . . Must...Hand...Debit...Card...To...Cashier...
    I like Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pi.boy.travis View Post
    Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check out the Samsung Galaxy, never tried that one before. I stopped to drool in the presence of the Nexus S at a Best Buy once, I would only need to force myself to pony up the cash for it. I know it'd be well worth the price. . . Must...Hand...Debit...Card...To...Cashier...
    Yeah all of them should work. Get the Samsung Galaxy S II though. It's the best Android phone on the market right now. My sister just got one I'm incredibly jealous.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the T-mobile Mytouch 4G and I have used the the usb tethering on occassion, and I haven't seen any extra charges. Just plug it in and it works.. Ubuntu 10.4 just know how to deal with it.
    Liberty in Life and Freedom in Software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Works on my EVO, though the hotspot doesn't work unless rooted, but tethering works fine.

Beans

If it doesn't work, there is a $10 app out there called easytether. 100% compatible with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If it has come directly from the manufacturer (not directly from the carrier) and runs Android 2.2, it should be able to do wifi tethering without any additional software. Obviously you'd want to double-check for that particular phone, but it's a feature in Android 2.2 and above.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Sweet deal. I usually buy my phones unlocked and get a new stand alone AT&T SIM card. I have grandfathered unlimited data (I started out with Cingular in 2003) and if you use the wap.cingular 'MEdiaNet' AP, tethering won't show up on your bill. . . *sshhhhh*
    I like Unity.