Thread: Firefox address bar/search thinks I live in the UK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox address bar/search thinks I live in the UK

I'm using Google as my default search engine.

I was studying in the UK for three years and am now back in the USA. However, if I type words into the address bar or the search bar to try to get to a website, it directs me to the UK version; e.g. typing 'expedia' sends me to expedia.co.uk, 'google' sends me to a google search with google.co.uk on top. How can I make it realize that I want it to search for American websites?
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Firefox address bar/search thinks I live in the UK

Quote Originally Posted by Zorgoth View Post
    I'm using Google as my default search engine.

I was studying in the UK for three years and am now back in the USA. However, if I type words into the address bar or the search bar to try to get to a website, it directs me to the UK version; e.g. typing 'expedia' sends me to expedia.co.uk, 'google' sends me to a google search with google.co.uk on top. How can I make it realize that I want it to search for American websites?
    Are you logged into Google or one of Google's services like Gmail, Docs, etc.? If so go to Google.com and click on on the like circular widget in the upper-right corner then type in your location on the next page in the "location" box.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Firefox address bar/search thinks I live in the UK

I tried that, but it didn't help. I think the default search engine for firefox might be the UK version of google, since searching on google.com gives me American results. I don't see any way of modifying the search engine.
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti