Thread: A Book to Manage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A Book to Manage

Hello Users! I was wondering if there was a book out there that every Linux/Unix user should read? I have been a slave to Windows my whole life and am fairly new to the open-source world. Is there a book that Linux users like me should curl up with at night?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: A Book to Manage

I don't know of such a book.
    It very much depends on what you use or want to use Linux for. If you want Ubuntu Desktop for the day to day personal computing, check out The Ubuntu Manual.
    If you want to administer hosts of servers, look for a server guide.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you're just getting into Ubuntu then you want a general beginners guide, there's dozens of them out there, and each will help you. I personally used this one, and it helped a ton, however you will want to read through at least a few of them as each generally covers some random thing that the others do not. As many guides and books as I've read on Linux/Ubuntu, what has helped me the most is simply reading through forum posts on here and Q&A in IRC chats. So be sure to learn from a variety of sources.

Basically there isn't just one book, there's tons of books. I've been using ubuntu for a few months now and have read more PDFs, mini-guides, and full on books than I can count. Simply find something you want to do and look up a book that teaches you how to do it, if you can't think of anything in particular, then grab any one of a million general coverage books out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Tantrum View Post
    I was wondering if there was a book out there that every Linux/Unix user should read?
    No one specific book. There's been hundreds written about Liux and/or Ubuntu. This is probably one of the better known ones:

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

Otherwise i'd suggest checking the official documentation and the wiki. I'd also recommend Psychocats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Physical books don't make too much sense for Ubuntu, because everything changes so quickly. No sooner have you written and published a book, than a new version of Ubuntu comes out!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

The link in my sig has a couple of good Ubuntu books on there, as well as other tutorials.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Tantrum View Post
    Is there a book that Linux users like me should curl up with at night?
    I don't know of a single book that suits your criteria. O'Reilly publishes good books on bash, *nix administration, and many other subjects, etc. Plus there are ebooks on most these subjects too.

The Ubuntu wiki is best for up-to-date info though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    I don't know of a single book that suits your criteria. O'Reilly publishes good books on bash, *nix administration, and many other subjects, etc. Plus there are ebooks on most these subjects too.

The Ubuntu wiki is best for up-to-date info though.
    I also cannot think of a book one should read... If you are going to use Ubuntu it is all a part of "click and learn" / "on the fly" learning.
    Don't ask what your company can do for you.
    Ask what you can do for
    your company!