Thread: Video colors are off

Beans

Video colors are off

Hi,
    I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu but so far have found solutions to whatever problem I encountered. Hopefully it's going to be the same with this issue. I noticed as I was watching a video that the colors are totally off. I don't have any problems with the Monitor or the display of websites, it's only videos that aren't displayed correctly.
    Could that be due to the graphic card? I thought about updating the drivers but since I did that when I installed Ubuntu and had the problem from the beginning I wonder what it could be.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Nauvoo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Video colors are off

Quote Originally Posted by nauvoo View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to Linux and Ubuntu but so far have found solutions to whatever problem I encountered. Hopefully it's going to be the same with this issue. I noticed as I was watching a video that the colors are totally off. I don't have any problems with the Monitor or the display of websites, it's only videos that aren't displayed correctly.
    Could that be due to the graphic card? I thought about updating the drivers but since I did that when I installed Ubuntu and had the problem from the beginning I wonder what it could be.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Nauvoo
    Are you using movie player? If so, check under edit> preferences> display> colour balance.Sometimes, the "hue" slider may be completely to the left, leading to images like an old vhs tape. Adjust the slider to about half way, and send feedback.
    Hope this helps
    Jean Noel

Beans

Re: Video colors are off

I checked the balances on all the three players that I have installed and they are all in the middle, so supposedly right where they need to be...? Brightness, Hue, everything is balanced and if I make adjustments either way it gets worse.

Nevermind - I just played around a little with the settings of the players and the graphic card and now it seems to be working fine! It seems like it is the quality of the video rather than the player!
    Last edited by nauvoo; August 17th, 2011 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Solved :)