Thread: Tips for beginner

Hybrid View

Beans

Tips for beginner

Hi, I'm really new to this as I've been on windows for years but I found ubuntu / linux a simpler and more efficient than windows cause there's no clutter and its really straightforward though really hard to move around especially with installing applications and stuff.

Just wanted to know if anyone can help me learn more about ubuntu with tips or tutorials, especially with linux and how to effectively use the terminal. I've searched google for a while now and most of the tutorials where really old and I can't really patch things together with the new stuff on board ubuntu 11.04.

Hoping for your replies! Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Tips for beginner

for latest updates/apps i am gonna prefer www.omgubuntu.co.uk
    www.webupd8.org

for everything about ubuntu i am gonna prefer some site for e-books(those are free to get) www.library.nu , search with term ubuntu , you're going to get many books . choose ubuntu linux bible from the list .
    remaining also good .
    Raja

రాజ శేఖర్ రెడ్డి

Beans

Thanks for the reply, Will be checking out the sites as well as download the PDF Hoping I get to learn linux in a good amount of time. As I'm seeing, its quite a steep learning curve Thanks again Raja!

Beans
    Hidden!

as far as the terminal & bash goes: its been the same for years and years. as for the filesystem structure, where settings are located, default serviecs, blah blah blah.. those things do change slightly.

you've also come at a time where the overall desktop environment has just had a big change, with unity and gnome 3 (which isnt on ubuntu by default). so things in the gui may seem inaccurate because they were written for gnome2 or whatever. under the surface things are pretty much the same now with ubuntu as it was back in 2008 or earlier.

i found the best thing to keep in mind if you want to learn about linux is that pretty much anything is possible, and most of the time someone's been there before you and you can find out how they did it. you'll learn about the system more and more as you try and do more things with it that don't come as standard.

Beans

Thanks for the tip aeiah! I'll be keeping that in mind. I actually learned a bit from searching through posts and forums about ubuntu 11.04 because of the error with the linux kernel which I had install again and again till i got the correct one for my system

Beans
    Hidden!

This is a quick tutorial for the Linux terminal: http://linuxcommand.org/

In the forums, we normally use the terminal because it doesn't change and it's the same for most distros.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Click the links in my signature, Psychocats is written by aysiu from these forums, I found it a big help when I started out with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jhinxed View Post
    Hi, I'm really new to this as I've been on windows for years but I found ubuntu / linux a simpler and more efficient than windows cause there's no clutter and its really straightforward though really hard to move around especially with installing applications and stuff.

Just wanted to know if anyone can help me learn more about ubuntu with tips or tutorials, especially with linux and how to effectively use the terminal. I've searched google for a while now and most of the tutorials where really old and I can't really patch things together with the new stuff on board ubuntu 11.04.

Hoping for your replies! Thanks in advance!
    I always suggest you start with the official documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I always suggest you start with the official documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html
    I knew I had to start somewhere. thanks for pointing me to that link. i really didn't think of that O.o