Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kde-full or Kubuntu ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

kde-full or Kubuntu ?

Since gnome's road seems to go in a direction I don 't like,I
    decided after a few happy years to have a closer look on KDE.

Short question:
    Install kde-full or a fresh kubuntu?
    Advantages/disadvantages ?
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: kde-full or Kubuntu ?

its better to go with Kubuntu . then you can install all the things what ever you want .
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd personally go with vanilla KDE to avoid the bloat that comes with Kubuntu. Then if you're missing anything essential you can just apt-get it.

Kubuntu has gotten better, but it's still not the type of KDE distro that I think is near-perfect from a clean install. Besides, you'll be wanting to upgrade to a newer version of KDE anyway since 4.7 is out and Kubuntu 11.04 comes with 4.6.x installed iirc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RichardLinx View Post
    Kubuntu has gotten better, but it's still not the type of KDE distro that I think is near-perfect from a clean install.
    So which distro would you suggest ?
    Btw,I don't mind tweaking...
    KDE 4.7 not in proposed updates?

Beans
    Distro

Well, if you want a nice KDE experience from the get-go, then I'd say openSUSE. But that's just my opinion - and this is coming from someone who thinks YaST is a great tool, and I know a lot of people think otherwise. If you've used suse before and liked it then jumping the gun and going with openSUSE 11.4 + KDE will be a great move.

But if you're comfortable with apt, go with ubuntu minimal and install KDE from there and build it to your preference.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    If you install 10.04, you should add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports for KDE 4.7, or ppa:kubuntu-ppa for KDE 4.6.5 (bugfix release). Have a look at kubuntu.org
    Sometimes people advise against ubuntu with kde, suggest other distros, like suse or mandriva/mageia. I have nothing against those (actually mandrake was my first linux).
    On the other hand I think there is nothing wrong with Kubuntu. It will be very familiar if you are used to ubuntu system. It has improved a lot recently with kubuntu-backports you can always get the latest KDE with ubuntu.
    ...when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks back at you

Beans

Myself, I'm using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Use only if you need to go bleeding edge..
    It's a very cool environment!!
    I always install Kubuntu fresh.. My personal experience is that *most* applications I use are kde- or qt-based and so I don't need the extra bloat from the Gnome-environment.

Edit: as previous poster said.. you can also get 4.6.5 which seems to be somewhat more stable on my system, and have better performance with my specific NVidia-card/driver.
    Last edited by kellemes; August 17th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro

after I installed ubuntu 11.04 and decided to try kde I installed kubuntu-desktop and I fell in love with it and now I upgraded to kde 4.7, I love it
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok,just started downloading kubuntu 11.04...

Using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Only if you need to go bleeding edge..

...don't need,but like to.Also this will not be my "working" system,so I will include the backports ppa.Thanks for this.
    Any other suggestions for KDE "Must Have" tweaks/apps ?

Beans

Ok,just started downloading kubuntu 11.04...

Using Kubuntu with 4.7.0 from ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports. Only if you need to go bleeding edge..

...don't need,but like to.Also this will not be my "working" system,so I will include the backports ppa.Thanks for this.
    Any other suggestions for KDE "Must Have" tweaks/apps ?
    Depends on what you need..
    Personally I can't live without Krusader but that's because I'm a sucker for twin-pane filemanagement.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast