Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    3

    Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/b...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/b...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-ae...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-ae...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-pp...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-pp...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    1,835
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by GuOmOnster View Post
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/b...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/bean123ch/b...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-ae...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-ae...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-pp...source/Sources 404 Not Found
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/user/ppa-pp...-i386/Packages 404 Not Found
    Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

    Looks like a ppa that doesn't exist, Disable your ppa's before upgrading.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    3

    Re: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    how exactly do i do that? sorry big ubuntu noob here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Beans
    439
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by GuOmOnster View Post
    how exactly do i do that? sorry big ubuntu noob here
    Suggestion, if I may, regarding "upgrade". Don't do it! If you want to step up a level in Ubuntu don't do it as an upgrade. Instead download the one you want, cut it to cd, save all of the files you want to keep on an external drive and do a full install.

    I just tried going from 10.04 to 10.10 via "upgrade" on site and finally downloaded 11.04 and did a clean install. Too many hiccups in the "upgrade" to correct and it actually took longer than it did to download and clean install 11.04.

    I took all of my important files, saved them to an external harddrive and loaded them back in when 11.04 finished. All working fine.

    Hope this helps in your pursuit.
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    3

    Re: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    Suggestion, if I may, regarding "upgrade". Don't do it! If you want to step up a level in Ubuntu don't do it as an upgrade. Instead download the one you want, cut it to cd, save all of the files you want to keep on an external drive and do a full install.

    I just tried going from 10.04 to 10.10 via "upgrade" on site and finally downloaded 11.04 and did a clean install. Too many hiccups in the "upgrade" to correct and it actually took longer than it did to download and clean install 11.04.

    I took all of my important files, saved them to an external harddrive and loaded them back in when 11.04 finished. All working fine.

    Hope this helps in your pursuit.
    ohh ok thanks for the help

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    4,459
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Failed updateing to ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10

    it actually took longer than it did to download and clean install 11.04.
    +1 on this quote you have to upgrade 1000 or more packages at times why not just do
    a fresh install into same partition # and set up. Does not take that long and a lot cleaner.
    Here is a couple of post installation guides for new users and a installation guide from Ubuntu with graphic views on how to do.

    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Main_Page
    my-guides.net
    Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

    ## And new users to firefox you can backup your firefox bookmarks and import them to
    new install. Gives you a file .json when backed up and just have to select it when importing
    does it by itself. Back them up a lot I would hate to lose my bookmarks.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •