Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natty crashes to black screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Natty crashes to black screen

I have had Natty installed for sometime now, and this happened once or twice before where it crashes all of a sudden to a black screen with some text on it, but I don't think there is anything particularly useful in the text. The problem is, in the last couple of days this has happened quite a few times, which shows that something is wrong, but I don't know what it is or how to find out, so if any one can help me I'd appreciate it

My Computer's Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1090T 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB
    MB: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H

Beans

Re: Natty crashes to black screen

Have you tried hitting Ctrl+Alt+F6 or Ctrl+Alt+F5? That normally brings up a command line login screen, which, if it works, would make trouble shooting a lot easier.

EDIT: To get back to the desktop hit Ctrl+Alt+F7.
    Last edited by halfpower; August 17th, 2011 at 02:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I did try that, and unfortunately it does not work :S Do you have any other ideas I could try? Or maybe you know if I should check the logs for something specific?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If i had to guess i'd say its your video diver (but that relay is just my best guess) i assum you've got some fancy video card in the box if you've got a Phenom and 8gb of ram . Have you tryed disabling/trying other drivers? Is there normally something your doing each time it crashes? and the text you get may just be more helpful then you think.

Beans
    Distro

Actually no I'm using the on-board graphics card I don't really need a high end graphics card, the high specs are just because I use virtual machines, and from what I know the number of CPU cores is one of the most important things for virtualization But I digress , do you have any other ideas as to what might be causing this??

Beans
    Distro

Doesn't any one have any other ideas? I hope someone does because this thing is becoming a problem for me :S Please help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think I have this problem too.
    It's happened a couple of times just seemingly out of the blue.

I've attached a photo of what I see. I also have a couple more and the messages are different each time.

Also, I think this chap is having the same trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

It just happened again!
    I was in the middle of a fairly hefty file operation (copying to NTFS external hdd) both this time and an hour ago when I made the post above.

I also have an AMD processor (?).

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Natty crashes to black screen

The messages that appear on your screen do appear quite similar to the ones that I see when this happens, but that other thread you mentioned is about a problem that happens when the poster tries to suspend his PC(although the image of his messages is also similar to ours!), while what happens with you and myself is that the crash occurs when we're using the computer not suspending it.

As to your second post, I did not notice whether this usually happens when a heavy operation was going on or not, but the last couple of times, there was definitely no heavy operations going on at all, I was just browsing the web.

The fact that you also have an AMD processor might be relevant I guess, but I'm not sure how we can find out! Do you have any idea how we can find out if this is processor related or not?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by omaralqady View Post
    Do you have any idea how we can find out if this is processor related or not?
    No, 'fraid not.
    I'm just as stuck as you it seems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast