Thread: Uninstall question

Beans

Uninstall question

Hey guys,

So I am installing ubuntu server on a mediaserver. I was having a little bit of an issue setting up a few things so I figured I would just ran
    Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    thinking that I could just remove the package and didn't really stop to thing that it also install a bunch of the dependencies. So now the time has come I'm done configuring everything and now I'm trying to remove the GUI and scale back to the ubuntu server. issue is now that everything else is loaded the a bunch of stuff I don't want. Does anyone know of a way how the keep the settings of everything but scaling the system back to a pre-desktop server defaults? I would even be perfectly content with not having it loading any additional process but I'm not sure if just removing the ubuntu-desktop would be enough to do that.

Best Regards,
    James

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Uninstall question

Removing 'ubuntu-desktop' itself won't remove the dependencies that were installed, but it will mark those other packages as "orphans".

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    will remove ubuntu-desktop, and then remove the orphans (all the packages that were installed as dependencies of ubuntu-desktop).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.