Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Dual monitor problems

Beans

Ubuntu 11.04 Dual monitor problems

I've been trying to get this working for a while now. I can get ubuntu to use two monitors, but with the new unity capabilities I can't drag any applications across. Whenever i try unity thinks i'm trying to make the window go to side on view (see attached). Is there a way around this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Dual monitor problems

Hi,

I have the same problem here. Unity seems to be the issue as when I log-in in Ubuntu Classic I can use the second monitor as an extended desktop.
    Is there a fix or a configuration I need to enable in Unity.
    I'm using a Geforce 8200 with the latest NVidia drivers 270.41.06.

Regards,

M

Beans

I get the same thing with or without unity. My second monitor is useless.

(When I launch a program in the 2nd monitor (i.e. right-click, "Change Desktop Background") the window has no borders, although I can resize it.)
    Last edited by csmartdalton; May 11th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by csmartdalton View Post
    I get the same thing with or without unity. My second monitor is useless.

(When I launch a program in the 2nd monitor (i.e. right-click, "Change Desktop Background") the window has no borders, although I can resize it.)
    My fix for this is to add the following line into a start up script:

Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 metacity --replace &
    This fixes the window border issues for the second monitor. But applets on the panels are still unusable. I use Ubuntu Classic, by the way. I need some serious start up scripts, because I have two monitors of different orientations (landscape, portrait).
    Last edited by Svip; May 12th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I get the same issue. Also, I connect to an external monitor whose resolution is larger than my laptop and need to place it at the left hand side rather than the right hand side. It's very glitchy and part of the screen is unreadable (for the second display).
    A sheep in wolve's clothing...

Beans

Previously, my second monitor was useless because it would simply not supply adequate power/hz despite the settings that I use. My screen would blank out (power) regularly.

That seems to be fixed with 11.04, but now the extended monitor checkbox has no effect. My second monitor remains a clone of my laptop screen.

Running ATI Mobility.

Beans

Same here. major struggle. My second monitor is useless. Before at least it showed the background, now I can't even get it enabled.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I can't get my second monitor to turn on or be detected either. With or without unity.
    http://megaloler.site90.com/, not that you care.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have same problem as Megaloler. My second monitor is not recognized but works just fine on Windows 7 (boo). Funny I just bought a new second monitor and now it is a paper weight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've worked with a number of people on resolving issues like those described here, and resolved my own. I'm including a screen shot taken while dragging my browser from one screen to the other. This all does work but a number of different things can get in the way and therefore there are a number of different solutions. I recommend you start with a search, you can use this to make your results more specific http://www.googlubuntu.com/, on your issue and gpu. You may well find an easy solution, or it could get complicated. If you then need assistance, please post a specific request and we'll be able to help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast