Thread: Compiz limited functionality on Hybrid graphics AMD Radeon 6630M 1GB DDR3 VRAM / Inte

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Compiz limited functionality on Hybrid graphics AMD Radeon 6630M 1GB DDR3 VRAM / Inte

I own a new laptop Sony Vaio VPCSA with Hybrid graphics AMD Radeon 6630M 1GB DDR3 VRAM / Intel HD 3000 and I installed Ubuntu 11.04 alternate on it. There are some small problem since the hardware is new but the one thing that I need fix now is the grid plug-in of compiz is not working.
    What I want is to be able to maximize/tile windows when I drag them to the left/top/right edge of the screen. In this moment I drag and it stay where I drag them. So now, in order to have 2 windows side by side , each taking half of the screen, I need to use the mouse to accomplish this. It is ok once or twice, but when I need to open more files and do same thing again and again is frustrating.
    I don't know if it is :
    - because of the distro : Ubuntu alternate cd
    - because of the hardware
    - because of some settings

Software I installed
    - Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit
    - compiz Settings Manager
    - open community driver Ati for the Radeon card ( official non-free was not so good)
    Sony Vaio SA i7 SandyBridge Radeon 6630m&Intel HD 3000 graphics
    Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit

Beans
    Distro

Re: Compiz limited functionality on Hybrid graphics AMD Radeon 6630M 1GB DDR3 VRAM /

Found temporary solution
    - switch off the radeon card
    - blacklist radeon
    The system use now just the intel HD 3000 Sandy Bridge graphics. Sometimes there are some strange problems and the laptop have really poor battery autonomy but the overall experience is livable.
    Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit

Beans

Re: Compiz limited functionality on Hybrid graphics AMD Radeon 6630M 1GB DDR3 VRAM /

Quote Originally Posted by opodaniel View Post
    Found temporary solution
    - switch off the radeon card
    - blacklist radeon
    The system use now just the intel HD 3000 Sandy Bridge graphics. Sometimes there are some strange problems and the laptop have really poor battery autonomy but the overall experience is livable.
    I know how to blacklist the radeon driver, but how exactly do you 'switch off the radeon card'? I have a similar situation with a Sony Vaio VPCSB11FXB where the Radeon card is generating a lot of heat (70 deg C) and since I'm only using the Intel adapter, I'd like to literally power down the Radeon if possible. The fan on this unit is insane. Runs all the time (even in 800 MHz Powersave mode) and sounds like a jet engine trying to take off. Thanks.
    Last edited by sadata; August 15th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sadata View Post
    how exactly do you 'switch off the radeon card'?
    Looks like you can power down the card by echoing OFF to the file listed below. This path only exists if radeon is loaded, hence the 'modprobe radeon' if it's blacklisted.

modprobe radeon
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Overall system temperature has dropped by 10 to 15 degrees Celcius. My fan hardly runs at all now and I've got the CPU applet set to Ondemand.

I found this information in the following post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1752202.html

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the post. I was making a big mistake. By blacklisting Radeon I wasn't switching it off. I was simply disabling the drivers from loading, hence no more switcheroo. I re-enabled the Radeon by commenting in $sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    # blacklist radeon
    and using switcheroo I switch off Radeon $sudo gedit /etc/rc.local, before exit 0:

chown -R $USER:$USER /sys/kernel/debug
    echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
    Now I got like 4 hours of battery life in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by opodaniel; August 17th, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
    Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit