Thread: new system, cannot compile anything even though make is present

Beans

Question new system, cannot compile anything even though make is present

I just installed a new Ubuntu Studio 11.04 system at home yesterday. It was relatively painless at first but now I'm trying to compile some of the programs that I built the system for and

Code:
    ./make
    simply is not working (returns command not found error). A makefile is present in both of the directories I'm working on.

Code:
    man make
    works perfectly fine. apt-get install insists that make is present, it also insists that gcc and build-essential are present. Just for the heck of it I reinstalled build-essential but nothing changed. I hesitate to uninstall it or or uninstall make as I have several packages which depend on these and several more which recommend them.

I first got into Linux with Ubuntu Server 10.04 and I remember not being able to compile then but that was because I didn't have gcc or build-essential installed. Once I installed those packages everything was happy. Every google search I perform leads me either to "install build-essentiall / gcc" or to nothing at all. Thoughts on where I can go from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: new system, cannot compile anything even though make is present

'./make' is looking for the command in the current directory and it is doubtful it exists.

'make' will use the make command from /usr/bin .

To configure the software you would use './configure', since configure is in the local directory.

Hope this helps.
    Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi!.. 1. What do you want to compile? 2. right syntax .. simply make or make install when you built) but all depends from rules in make file)
    Debian Chick

Beans

Well its been a long weekend I guess. And I haven't been using Linux much lately. In any event plain "make" without the ./ works just fine. Thanks. Marking as solved.