Thread: Question about TOR?

Beans

Question about TOR?

I was checking out TOR and I have a question for people that use it.

Should you use TOR if you're behind a router, like most people with DSL or cable? Does TOR mask the external router ip?

Beans

Re: Question about TOR?

Bump!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When you talk to a website, a lot of information come into that websites server. Your general location is even sent through the internet. TOR makes you anonymous by having random TOR volunteer with proper security talk to that website for you. So that website does not know where YOU live. Better yet, TOR changes its path, so no one TOR volunteer is talking to the website for you for too long, which makes it hard to track. TOR hides your IP and location as well as many other things. It is used by a lot of people who need anonymity.
    Yes your can still be at risk behind a router because your location and external IP are still being sent out, and TOR will stop your external IP and location as well as other things from being tracked back to you.
    Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might need privoxy to completely protect yourself. TOR protects you people on the server side from finding out your browsing history and habbits, while privoxy scrubs the personal data off of the packets so geolocation and ip tracing are virtually impossible.
    Theres no place like 127.0.0.1

Beans

I was looking into Tor and also I2P before I got on this linux kick that ill probably never kick. Glad to know its supported under Linux/GNU.

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by akernan View Post
    I was checking out TOR and I have a question for people that use it.

Should you use TOR if you're behind a router, like most people with DSL or cable? Does TOR mask the external router ip?
    two things:
    *tor has nothing to do with security
    *tor gives you a layer to "protect" your privacy

indeed privoxy gives you an extra layer of privacy, but you have to adjust your browser too against leaking info.
    privacy is a system of good internet habits, knowledge, and the correct tools.

Beans

Ok, thanks for the replies.