Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Grub 2 Themes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Your Grub 2 Themes

Inspired by Dylan103's popular Conky thread, and various "Screenshot of the Month" threads, this thread is for posting Grub 2 themes.

NEW
    GRUB 2.0 has just been released and includes it's own theme: starcraft

Grub 2.0 is not in the Ubuntu repositories nor in use on any current release of Ubuntu, but if you want to compile it you can get the files from the following location:
    http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.00.tar.gz

This is not designed to be a support thread. It's posted in the Community Cafe forum for a reason - it is not designed to be a "How To" on building a theme. It's purpose is to provide a pre-built theme that can be used without a great deal of editing. The user will need to add icons, backgrounds, and additional fonts if necessary by the theme.

The latter portion of this post will provide some general information about fonts, icons, and backgrounds. That will be the extent of general support information.

Rules for posting:
    I can't improve on KiwiNZ's rules on another thread, so here they are:
    1. Stay within the board rules, no matter how hot you may believe the wallpaper/screen shot to be.
    2. If you are going to quote, there isn't a need to quote an img-embeded picture - Just don't do it. Please just reference the post by page number/page link/etc.
    3. Off Topic Posts will be edited or removed.
    4. The desktops thread is not to be used as a means to post explicit or suggestive, and provocative images (they must be safe for your kids and/or boss to see). Please help to keep the thread relevant and safe to browse for everyone.
    5. The moderators of this forum reserve the right to edit or remove your posts as necessary so they may comply with our Community Rule set.
    6. Please use reduced-size thumbnails, out of respect for people running on lower bandwidth or screen resolutions. Any large image (as determined by me) will be removed! If you can't post a thumbnail, please use a text link to your image. ImageShack causes problems for users in some countries. Please use another image hosting service. If your image is removed, reread this section.
    7. Themes posted to this thread may be used and modified without attribution.

Additional information to include in your post:
    1. If you have to install special files/fonts, please specify how to do it.
    2. Provide the paths if images or files are not located in the same folder as the theme file.
    3. Background Image: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).
    4. Icons: Name/where you got it (with link would be nice).

Limited Support Information: (Remember this is not a support forum)
    This post provides some general information on background images, icons, and fonts. It is not meant to be a comprehensive guide to creating Grub 2 themes.

For complete information on how to build themes, I refer you to forum member towheedm's excellent theming guide, which can be found from information in this link:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1534689

1. Background Images
      Background images referenced in a theme file will override the background images listed in 05_debian_theme and /etc/default/grub and, in Grub 1.99 and later, image files placed in the /boot/grub folder.

2. Fonts
      The default Grub 2 font is based on /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 and is identified as "Unknown Regular 16" when "lsfonts" is run from the Grub command prompt. This font is scaled based on the resolution set by Grub during boot (the higher the resolution, the smaller the font). Grub 2 in later versions uses the highest resolution (smallest font) available to it unless the user specifies a different resolution in the "GRUB_GFXMODE=" entry of the /etc/default/grub file.

To see the fonts loaded by Grub 2, at the grub command prompt, run the following command. (To get to the grub command line, press 'c' while viewing the Grub 2 menu.)
      Code:
      lsfonts
      Grub 2 uses '.pf2' fonts. Other fonts can be converted to this format with the 'grub-mkfont' command (demonstrated later).

To create additional .pf2 fonts:
      • The fonts used by Ubuntu are generally stored in /usr/share/fonts and its subfolders.
      • To find a specific font, you can use the locate command. ( Example: locate DejaVuSans.ttf )
      • Fonts can be placed directly in the same folder as the theme file (e.g. theme.txt) or in a universal folder such as /boot/grub/fonts and linked to the folder containing the theme file.
      • To import a font to a 'universal' grub font folder (which must be created first):
        Code:
        sudo mkdir /boot/grub/fonts
        sudo grub-mkfont --verbose --range=0x0-0x7F --size=18 --output=/boot/grub/fonts/DejaVuSans-18.pf2  $(locate DejaViewSans.ttf)

• To link a font in the /boot/grub/fonts folder to the folder containing theme.txt (/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/ :
        Code:
        sudo ln -s /boot/grub/fonts/DejaVuSans-Bold-18.pf2  /boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/

3. Icons
      • Icons are called based on a "--class xxxx" entry in a menuentry. The xxxx references a .png file in the icons folder. Do not include the extension (.png) in the class designation.
        • Example: menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-7-generic' --class ubuntu {
      • Icons should be stored in an "icons" folder in the same folder as the theme.txt. Grub 2 will automatically look in the icons folder for referenced icons.
      • Icons will be scaled according to the information in the theme.txt
      • Grub 2 automatically uses the icon image in the icons folder with the same name as the "--class" designation in the menuentry.
      • Default classes may include:
        • 10_linux: ubuntu, gnu-linux, gnu, os
        • 30_os-prober: gnu-linux, gnu, os, windows (if found)
        • Icons for many popular OS's can be found in towheedm's Grub 2 Theming Guide (see Links section).
          • For example, if the menuentry contains "--class ubuntu", Grub 2 will look for an icon in the icons folder named "ubuntu.png" Do not use the ".png" extension if creating a custom "--class" entry.
      • The user may create his own "--class" and place the .png file in the icons folder.
        • Example: "--class myclass" with "myclass.png" placed in the icons folder.

LINKS:
    A Beginner's Guide to Theming GRUB2 by forum member towheedm
    GNU GRUB 1.99 Manual

A sample Grub 2 Theme created using towheedm's guide:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drs305; June 28th, 2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Grub 2.0
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Post Your Grub 2 Themes

This is a very simple theme to get you started. It was created with the help of the Grub Theming Guide by forum member towheedm referenced in the following thread.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1534689

I have removed a lot of the commented lines of the example theme to make it short and simple.

Theme Path/Name: /boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/theme-drs305.txt
    Font Folder: None. Only the default Grub 2 font is used. (unicode.pf2, reported as "Unknown Regular 16" by the lsfonts command at the grub prompt)
    Icons Location: /boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/icons
    Background Image: /boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/drs305.png
    • GIMP used to make the background of the icon images transparent.

Special instructions:
    • /etc/default/grub entry: GRUB_THEME=/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/drs305-theme.txt
    • Icons are determined by a "--class" entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg The default "--class" is "ubuntu" for entries located in the 10_linux section of grub.cfg.

Notes:
    • The menuentries are from a custom file, which accounts for the non-standard names and order.
    • The background image and most icons are hand-made. The 'ubuntu' and 'windows' icons are available via the Grub Theming Guide referenced earlier.

Theme Content (drs305-theme.txt):

# Global Property
    title-text: "GRUB 1.99RC Oneiric"
    title-font: "Unknown Regular 16"
    title-color: "green"
    desktop-image: "/boot/grub/drs305.png"
    #desktop-color: "#000000"
    # Show the boot menu
    + boot_menu {
    left = 10%
    top = 15%
    width = 85%
    height = 75%
    item_font = "Unknown Regular 16"
    item_color = "lightgrey"
    selected_item_color = "yellow"
    item_height = 20
    item_padding = 10 # Vertical spacing between menuentries.
    item_spacing = 10
    item_icon_space = 20 # Horizontal spacing between the icon and it's menuentry.
    icon_width = 20
    icon_height = 20
    icon_spacing = 10
    }
    Last edited by drs305; August 13th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Here's an expanded version of Post # 2, with a circular timer added. The additional entries are listed in bold.

The screenshot actually includes 3 different images - take your pick (just remove the other two sections in the theme) and adjust the "left" and "top" variables to place it where you wish it to appear.

To add the center image:
    Add a center image to the theme folder (/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu).
    The three examples I copied from Ubuntu system folders are
    • /usr/share/app-install/icons/xfce4-clock.png
    • /usr/share/app-install/icons/alarm-clock.png
    • /usr/share/app-install/icons/gworldclock.png

Add a tick image.
    I extracted the tick.png image from the Grub 2 Theming Guide's demo folder.
    The number of 'ticks' is set by the "tick_num" setting. In this example, the number was 10, several of which have already disappeared as the timer counted down.

Geometry:
    • Placement is set by the variables in the "+ circular progress" section.
      • The center image will be the size of the icon. Adjust the icon image with an image editor such as GIMP if you wish to change the center image size.
      • The ticks will be displaced around a circle whose diameter is set by the pixel distance designated in the "width" line.
        • While the examples all have the tick marks outside the center image, you can set the 'width' smaller and have the tick marks actually appear inside the clock face with some experimentation. See the far right clock image.
      • The distance from the left border is set by the "left" variable. It can be designated by pixels, percentage, or both.
      • The distance from the top is set by the "top" variable (% or pixels from the top of the screen).
        [^]The "'start angle = -56" sets the first tick to disappear as the one at approximately 1 o'clock.

In posting this theme, I've used 'code' tags rather than 'quote' tags to save space.
    Code:
    # GRUB2 gfxmenu Ubuntu Demo theme
    # The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2,
    # using the ubuntu1 demo theme from http://www.gibibit.com
    # Designed for 640x480 resolution
    # Global Property
    title-text: "GRUB 1.99RC Oneiric 11"
    title-font: "Unknown Bold 16"
    title-color: "green"
    message-font: "Unknown Regular 16"
    message-color: "white"
    message-bg-color: "black"
    desktop-image: "/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu/drs305.png" 	# overrides any other background image setting
    desktop-color: "#000000" 								# desktop-color only used if desktop-image is not found

# Show the boot menu
    + boot_menu {
    left = 10%
    top = 15%
    width = 85%
    height = 55%
    item_font = "Unknown Regular 16"
    item_color = "lightgrey"
    selected_item_color = "yellow"
    item_height = 20
    item_padding = 10
    item_spacing = 10
    item_icon_space = 20
    icon_width = 20
    icon_height = 20
    icon_spacing = 10
    }

# Show a circular progress bar
    + circular_progress {
    id = "__timeout__"
    left = 10%
    top = 80%
    width = 50
    height = 50
    num_ticks = 10
    start_angle = -56
    ticks_disappear = true
    # /usr/share/app-install/icons/xfce4-clock.png   /usr/share/app-install/icons/alarm-clock.png
    center_bitmap = "xfce4-clock.png"
    tick_bitmap = "tick.png"
    }

+ circular_progress {
    id = "__timeout__"
    left = 40%
    top = 80%
    width = 70
    height = 50
    num_ticks = 10
    start_angle = -56
    ticks_disappear = true
    center_bitmap = "alarm-clock.png"
    tick_bitmap = "tick.png"
    }

+ circular_progress {
    id = "__timeout__"
    left = 70%
    top = 80%
    width = 55  # Reduced so ticks are within the clock face
    height = 70
    num_ticks = 11
    start_angle = -56
    ticks_disappear = true
    # /usr/share/app-install/icons/xfce4-clock.png   /usr/share/app-install/icons/alarm-clock.png
    center_bitmap = "gworldclock-lg.png" # Modified image (enlarged)
    tick_bitmap = "tick-sm-blk.png"  # Modified image (black and reduced size)
    }
    Last edited by drs305; August 18th, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I'd have expected at least a few GRUB themes posted by now. Oh well ...

Here's a theme I created from the metacity/gtk+-2.0 theme 'Azenis' which can be found here.

The GRUB theme shows best at 1024x768.

To install the theme, first extract the archive, cd to the directory where the archive was extracted to and run the 'install.sh' script.

I forgot to include the Fixed Regular 13 font in the archive. It is now included nd the archive updated. Sorry for that.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by towheedm; November 1st, 2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Added missing font file
    The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2 is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    I'd have expected at least a few GRUB themes posted by now. Oh well ...

Here's a theme I created from the metacity/gtk+-2.0 theme 'Azenis' which can be found here.

The GRUB theme shows best at 1024x768.

To install the theme, first extract the archive, cd to the directory where the archive was extracted to and run the 'install.sh' script.
    Thanks towheedm!

I've actually used your guide to create numerous themes but none are significantly different from what you have in your guide. I'd hoped there would be some more postings here as well, as using your tools and Grub 2's capabilities one can make some pretty interesting boot menus.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

So true.

I'm not an artist or graphics designer, so I will create themes based on other's images.

Let's hope we see some more theme soon.

I created this theme quickly in between what I hope would be my tutorial on creating Metacity/GTK+ themes.

I'll update the pdf file this weekend and put a link to this thread in it, so all new downloads should see it.

I was also contemplating requesting a GRUB theme section on gnome-llook. What's your opinion on that?
    The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2 is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm contemplating on making a NyanCat Grub2 theme.

Beans
    Distro

Well I made one to fit to my desktop theme. I just took everything out of Axiom's Metacity theme and resized stuff and converted them to .png, and went through and changed the colors in towheedm's theme.txt file. I was confused about the install.sh script in there. It didn't seem to do anything, I had to manually link and copy stuff for it to work (which I could turn it into a script I guess).

Edit: Finally added a screenshot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Legendary_Bibo; October 30th, 2011 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Your themes look awesome. I had problems with serious lag on my machine though...how d'you get around that?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Your themes look awesome. I had problems with serious lag on my machine though...how d'you get around that?
    I'm getting that as well, and trying to figure out why that's happening. My guess would be that there's too much being loaded in. I might reduce the size of the distributor logos and see if that helps.

I'll hit the down arrow then like half a second later it moves.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast