Okay, first off, I am a long-time Ubuntu user and I don't currently have any problems, I am just not quite sure how to do this:

Setting: My desktop (Ubuntu 10.10 still) has a HUGE array of music stored on a 2TB hard drive (I back all my CDs up in FLAC format cuz I have kids who are brutal on my discs). The machine is in a room in one corner of the house.

Recently, a friend of mine bought a set of wireless interior/exterior speakers for me so that I can hang out in the back yard (or whatever) and listen to tunes. It works great, and seamlessly even with the USB sound output (just gotta select the device from the sound output options).

Question: I want to be able to play computer games using my desktop speakers, and I want my wife to be able to set a play-list of music with something like VLC or Rhythmbox and have that audio come from the wireless speakers. I can plug the wireless transmitter into EITHER the USB output OR from the headphone output.

Summary: Can I have Rhythmbox play through the headphone (or USB) output while having a game such as Tremulous play through the desktop speakers? How would I route that?

Notes: I am perfectly willing to noodle about with the CLI ... consider that I started with Ubuntu Breezy all those years ago