Thread: Java is using massive CPU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Java is using massive CPU

i run minecraft with java and it uses massive CPU up to 60%

Java is dedicated almost 1GB of my 4GB RAM
    i have a cheap AMD quad core proccessor (i think its equivilant to dell i3 or dell dual-core.)

anyone got any ideas?
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

Re: Java is using massive CPU

I would expect any graphical game to use the CPU fairly heavily. 60% suggests that minecraft is using 2 threads on your quad-core. I don't actually think there is a problem here.

Also Minecraft runs P-code in a virtual machine. Java needs to translate it's code into machine code, so it would take more resources

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hmm... ok

i really badly need a better graphics processor though. that's probably what makes it seems laggy in game.
    ive only got an awfull built in one at the moment
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans

I have the same issue but one of my cpu's spikes to 100%.

Its a dell latitude E6400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz, 2gb ram, 80gb HD

any idea anybody ?

i read something on this page but not 100% sure what to do with this info.
    Fail Fail Fail SUCCESS Fail Fail Fail

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I would expect MineCraft to use up that kind of resources, it may not look like it, but it's very graphics and map-generatey intensive (And also single threaded, but that's on Notch's todo list). I expect that there may be performance boosts soon.
    [538] [792] Just because you have a secure OS doesn't mean you are invincible. Be careful out there! Don't trust strange sites and such. Also, don't block JavaScript, It is not some insecure monster who will attack you at every turn!