Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple's newest legal loop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Apple's newest legal loop

Quote Originally Posted by BeRoot ReBoot View Post
    This is the free market in all its Darwinian glory. This is what happens when you're allowed to claim property of an intellectual process. This is what happens when information isn't Free.

This isn't good for the consumer, it isn't good for the market and it isn't good for science. It's suppressing innovation on all fronts, for the sole purpose of inflating Apple's (and all the other corporations' who pull this kind of crap) giant piles of cash.

Isn't this the opposite of the free market? Last I checked, patent laws come as sort of regulations from the government. And If I am correct, that would then be something that is restricting the free market. Besides, the markets in Europe are much more regulated than in the U.S.

I agree. This is why I agree with my brother when he says that Apple is a lot less innovative and a lot more sue happy. I read this story and wonder how it is that the EU can seriously rule that this design is too close?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    You would be hard pressed to find any TV, Stereo, Computer, Microwave, ............ that does not have Chinese components.

If the "West" stopped purchasing these those workers would be worse off. An income of $10,000 is a lot better than zero income.
    In addition, the financial and working situations these Chinese people find themselves in are usually better than the destitute, agrarian situations they were in before. One can blame the company that relocates to a country like China for cheap labor, but look at the converse. There is very little manufacturing here in the U.S. There is a higher cost because we do not allow for the mining of the "rare earth" materials that are needed to construct high tech products, and because we have the second highest corporate tax rate on the globe. This is in addition to labor unions that increase the wages and benefits of workers, and a poor education system.

I agree, don't blame apple for that, and don't feel super sorry for the workers. Technically, they are better off than they were. Otherwise I don't think they would choose to go work in those factories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by falonyn View Post
    Isn't this the opposite of the free market? Last I checked, patent laws come as sort of regulations from the government. And If I am correct, that would then be something that is restricting the free market. Besides, the markets in Europe are much more regulated than in the U.S.

I agree. This is why I agree with my brother when he says that Apple is a lot less innovative and a lot more sue happy. I read this story and wonder how it is that the EU can seriously rule that this design is too close?

You are comparing the iPad2 to Galaxy Tab 10.1.

You should be comparing the iPad1 to Galaxy Tab 10.1.

EDIT: Just read the complaint. Apple is comparing the iPad2 with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but they could have compared it to iPad1 since it has a metal bezel as does the Tab from the photos.
    Last edited by zekopeko; August 17th, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In other news; I'm getting an Archos tablet.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zekopeko View Post
    You are comparing the iPad2 to Galaxy Tab 10.1.

You should be comparing the iPad1 to Galaxy Tab 10.1.

EDIT: Just read the complaint. Apple is comparing the iPad2 with the Galaxy Tab 10.1 but they could have compared it to iPad1 since it has a metal bezel as does the Tab from the photos.
    I merely grabbed an image from a google search. But you are correct. Though I think a physical design problem verse an OS copy is a huge difference.

Beans
    Hidden!

EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't know if it's been mentioned here before. But HTC has fired back with suing Apple for infringing 3 patents that don't just include iOS/iPhone but Macs too. Let me see if I can find a article on it... here.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Hidden!

indeed... reap what you sow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    It is good for the consumer, if individuals or Corporations are not able to protect their creations what is the motivation to invest in research and development? R&D costs a lot of money therefore it is vital to secure interest to allow a reasonable return on the investment.
    This is the best example of patent abuse there is. There is no justifying it... even if you're a mod, I'm sorry.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast