Thread: C-literate volunteer please!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Arrow C-literate volunteer please!

Just a request for a 'translation' please.

BURG, a program for theming GRUB, appears to be the best, but 'dead' (i.e. not maintained) We would like to revive it via Python (for ease of programming, and for Tkinter library, and BASH compatibility) however the source code is in C. None of us read C (I'm closest with C++, however the program uses several techniques that I can't get my head around, like macros etc.) and it's quite a big program, so if you don't speak the lingo, it's unintelligible.

the 'official' thread is here (the thread starts with theming directly, then moves on to programming a GUI to do it for us.):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1810063

Help will be met with adulation, name in source code, should the project succeed, and quite a considerable amount of hero-worship.

Source and program is available via repositories:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg
    Or direct download.

We don't need everything explaining, and nothing about the GUI is required, but I need to know the core of the program, what it does and how it does it.

Thanks once again, brave volunteer .

Oh yeah, if you don't know C, but would like to help anyway, you're very welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: C-literate volunteer please!

did you see this:
    http://grub.gibibit.com/
    i guess its wrote in C like burg, huh?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No, indeed I did not. Does it lag like the gfxmenu themer? I guess on some machines the gfx lag is not noticeable, but on a 1GB RAM VirtualBox, it took a second or so to switch, and you could freeze it entirely by pressing it at the wrong moment. I shall investigate!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The guide I was following is quite old, perhaps it was a bug in the supplied theming script.

I shall see if I can find a newer one, or look at the source code and see what I can tweak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

OK, Ill stay on the other thread....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Fair point. I think this one is probably <solved> anyway, as I've just had a look at the Arch Linux and Puppy linux forums and they've had a version of this, which apparently only lags if you have minimal RAM, since 2009 or so. Humph. Back to the drawing board, and see what I can steal from Arch and Puppy. Interestingly, they're both minimal distributions, yet they bother with eyecandy in their grub. You would have thought at least something like Kubuntu would have copied them. However, puppy have their own packages .pup or something like that, and Arch is just plain weird.
    Tommorow, methinks. Major rethink required.