Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iMac G4 Boot Problems

Beans

Exclamation iMac G4 Boot Problems

Hi,
    I'm using an old iMac G4 and would like to install Ubuntu 10.10 (Power PC Architecture.) When I try to boot from the CD by holding down the C key, the computer screen stays gray for about 20 seconds and then spits out the disk. I've tried using the F10 key but that doesn't work either. My iMac can play regular CDs and DVDs fine. Please give some suggestions. Thanks!

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: iMac G4 Boot Problems

Maybe there has been a problem with the burn? Do you hear it tryng to read the disk? Did you do it on the lowest speed? You could give the alternate CD a go? If you have a spare/empty usb stick then you can boot from that instead. It is the way I boot everything now. There are instructions on the forum.

Beans

I've tried burning Ubuntu several times but I've never tried burning it on a lower speed (I'll try that.) I do here it trying to read the disc in Mac OS X but it takes the computer a few minutes before it shows the disc. As a last resort I'll try USB but it is difficult to do it on a Mac.

Beans

I tried burning it on a lower speed but it still doesn't work. I need some help creating the .img file on a Mac for the thumb drive (according to Ubuntu's instructions). Please be really specific.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

I've burned several ISO discs and they boot fine on my other computers. And I've als tried to make a USB stick but when I try to convert the ISO to IMG I get this:
    Code:
    hdiutil convert -format <format> -o <outfile> [options] <image>
    hdiutil convert -help

Beans

Well, I converted the newest version of Linux with success. My only problem is whether it will work on a Powerpc. If you can forward me to something about Powerpc processors and Linux I'd really appreciate it.

Beans

I'm a little confused now what you have downloaded/burned/converted. The power pc iso's are here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads . Note, 10.10 says it won't fit on a standard CD so is this your problem with the burning?

The latest version of Ubuntu is 11.04 although I'd be surprised if you found an iso for powerpc. You may find an iso for 11.10 but that is in development. See the powerpc sticky for ways to install 11.04.

Beans

I'm using a DVD for all my ISOs. I can burn working ISOs from the newest Intel ISOs and convert them for use on a flash drive. The PowerPC ISOs I can't seem to burn correctly or convert for use on a flash drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast