Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: having video problems while trying live cd...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: having video problems while trying live cd...

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Ubuntu in it's eternal wisdom has decided to hide that screen

When you boot from the live cd, you should get a screen with 2 small 'icons' at the bottom. One a keyboard, the other one a human in a circle. If you get that far, press <esc> and you will get the above shown menu. If you don't get that far, let us know.
    Just like GRUB menu, it's hidden if Ubuntu is the only OS installed on your system unless you press and hold Shift Key.
    Same for booting from LiveCD or LiveUSB, if you don't press any key in few seconds, it will boot automatically and if I'm not wrong, it should give you the option to install or try on a GUI screen.

You right, a key has to be pressed to get that screen in the previous post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Do you get this screen when you boot your machine from your LiveUSB?

I have reached that page once. I believe i hit help then typed menu. However, when i try to do this again, I get the little person in a circle thing, and then it begins booting and gives me the error... whenever it starts booting I try to abort with esc but it usually goes
    rightt ahead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mjloesch99 View Post
    I have reached that page once. I believe i hit help then typed menu. However, when i try to do this again, I get the little person in a circle thing, and then it begins booting and gives me the error... whenever it starts booting I try to abort with esc but it usually goes
    rightt ahead
    Whenever you see that little fellow, Press any key (space for example) and you'll get the language list. Choose your Language and then Press F6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Have you checked MD5SUM before creating the LiveUSB/LiveCD?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

If not, please do that because that supposed to be your first step.

What software/tool you used to create the LiveUSB?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

... Same for booting from LiveCD or LiveUSB, if you don't press any key in few seconds, ...
    It would be oh so nice to have a simple text there so a user knows that pressing a key will achieve something. I know that this is not the place to complain about these things but this 'design' is simply braindead and the one that came up with this has less knowledge of user interfaces than a shrimp.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    It would be oh so nice to have a simple text there so a user knows that pressing a key will achieve something. I know that this is not the place to complain about these things but this 'design' is simply braindead and the one that came up with this has less knowledge of user interfaces than a shrimp.
    Oh well, I wish the developers can read this!

Edit:
    What is a MUST IMHO is: If you want to install GRUB to some other place like sda1 (which is for Windows) instead of sda, a warning message should pop up. I believe this will reduce LOTS of problems and threads here and above all, will save everyone's time. But again, what can I say?

Beans

Have you checked MD5SUM before creating the LiveUSB/LiveCD?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes

If not, please do that because that supposed to be your first step.

What software/tool you used to create the LiveUSB?
    I just used the instructions on the ubuntu download page, not to sound like an idiot but i dont understammnd this hash checker thing...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I just used the instructions on the ubuntu download page, not to sound like an idiot but i dont understammnd this hash checker thing...
    If you did read the link I posted and you didn't understand anything, then I'm not sure how can I explain it more clearly than it's already explained in that link.

What part you didn't understand?

MD5SUM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5sum
    Ubuntu Community Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

When you download 700MB file from the internet, there is a chance that your downloaded file might be corrupted or damaged. In order to check the integrity of your downloaded file and make sure it's not broken, damaged or corrupted then you need to check the MD5SUM for it.

How to do that?

From Windows: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM on Windows

From Linux: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM on Linux

From Mac OS X: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM#MD5SUM on Mac OS X

Beans

So, I did the hash check thing, and everything checked out. I can now get to that menu consistently by hitting any key as you said. When I looked on the one link under f4 there was a safe boot mode option but now its not there... I checked all of the options under f6, and that got me farther then usual, but I was immediately lost.

Beans

So, I did the hash check thing, and everything checked out. I can now get to that menu consistently by hitting any key as you said. When I looked on the one link under f4 there was a safe boot mode option but now its not there... I checked all of the options under f6, and that got me farther then usual, but I was immediately lost.
    Scrathch that lost part.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123