Hi,

I've just scrubbed Windows 7 starter edition and installed Ubuntu 10.10 (netbook?) on an Asus EEE PC 1008HA. When I installed Adobe Reader(9.4.1-1_i486), I do not see any of the menus. It seems to work fine apart from that, but the main reason I want to use it is the "read aloud" functionality.

(I'm hoping to get it to read some of my course work for my OU degree while I'm commuting in the car)

The menus are visible at the top of the screen, "File Edit View Document Window Help" but as soon as I click any of these I just get a grey drop down, with grey writing, so I obviously can't read any of the menus. Been googling around for this, but can't find anything helpful.

I'm happy to use something other than Adobe Reader, but I've tried xpdf (very old) and kpdf (not maintained) and ePDFViewer, but none of these seem to have the "read aloud" functionality.

As it happens, currently the read aloud doesn't even work with Adobe Reader, because when I right click and choose Page Display Preferences, all the options for read aloud are greyed out... but I'll probably be able to figure that one out myself if I can get the menus to appear.