Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: USB slow transfer rate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: USB slow transfer rate

I have no clue to why the bug report states that it has been fixed in newer kernels. I am on Precise 12.04 and have had this problem since the beginning. The problem persists all the way to kernel 3.5. I have noted that it is worst on pen drives with FAT32.

I will try to make some tests with usbmon and report back (http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Docum...usb/usbmon.txt)

Till then my work around has been formating my pendrives with NTFS...

Beans

the solution found here worked for me
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1867460

instead of 3mb/s it now copies at 9mb/s

Beans
    Hidden!

Every single Ubuntu install I've had over loads of different machines has suffered from this problem, and I've been using Ubuntu since day one.

My newest laptop has USB3.0 sockets/hub and transfers to/from assorted USB2 flash drives at 30MB/s in Windows, ten times less than that for the same devices in Ubuntu. Devices which Ubuntu reports are connected at the full 480Mb/s. I get the 100% copy complete, wait a few minutes before actually finishing thing too. I don't have any usb3 devices to test with, yet.

For unrelated reasons I'm running a daily build kernel from last week, 3.5.0-999-generic #201207280406 on AMD64 hardware and it's not fixed there.

Same problem in Debian Testing. Booted into a Fedora live environment a moment ago, blisteringly quick speeds there. So if it's the kernel, it's Debian/Ubuntu's build thereof.

I'm going to try adding pci=acpi to my boot options in a moment, see if that helps.

[ edit: on my system (Toshiba L830-114) pci=acpi is not a valid boot option and does nothing but generate an error ]
    Last edited by truant; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Beans

Strangely enough, I've had the complete oposite experience! Though my transfer speeds to USB drives in Ubuntu are a bit unstable, they are significantly faster than in Windows 7

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, reading through the various (and numerous!) usb-speed related bug reports there's so much variation. The developers all try to help, but the overall conclusion seems to be it's not an easy thing like a bit of missing code in ehci_hcd module, it's one of those weird hardware lucky dip things.

Some combinations of hardware just freak out and go slow, and it's really hard to reproduce - thus making it very hard to fix.

I'll keep plugging away with the bug reports.

Beans

Next did really help me. I changed the line in fstab from:
    # try usb:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 auto noauto,rw,noexec,users,utf8,nodev,sync, noatime,nodiratime,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022 0 0

into:
    # try usb:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/usb0 auto noauto,rw,noexec,users,utf8,nodev,noatime,nodirati me,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022 0 0

Copy rate increased to somewhat 3 MB/s

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123