Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Hybrid ISO

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy, EU
    Beans
    69

    Wink Hybrid ISO

    There's a quick and easy method of installing Ubuntu (or any derivative) from a pendrive: isohybrid.
    It's a tool which is part of the syslinux package.
    just install it, then type
    Code:
    isohybrid FILENAME.ISO
    where FILENAME.ISO is your iso file. The md5 checksum will change, of course.
    Then, you can just write your modified iso file to a pendrive:
    Code:
    sudo su
    umount /dev/sdx
    where sdX is your pendrive device name. Pay attention!
    Code:
    dd if=FILENAME.ISO of=/dev/sdX
    sync
    I wonder why the standard ISOs aren't already patched with this. Or maybe they are and I didn't know it?

    Hope this helps

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Beans
    990
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Thanks for this. Although i use the USB creator for windows from pendrivelinux.com. Havent had a problem yet. I never tried it with wine though...i will do so right away and post the outcome

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    is the syslinux package only part of the usb build if installing from a linux machine? if so, then this would not be an option when loading a usb from a windows machine? or am i wrong?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy, EU
    Beans
    69

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    Thanks for this. Although i use the USB creator for windows from pendrivelinux.com. Havent had a problem yet. I never tried it with wine though...i will do so right away and post the outcome
    Yes, they all work, unetbootin as well, but this one is quicker (if you already have a linux machine)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy, EU
    Beans
    69

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrrys View Post
    is the syslinux package only part of the usb build if installing from a linux machine? if so, then this would not be an option when loading a usb from a windows machine? or am i wrong?
    I'm not sure I understood your question, but the syslinux package is part of the standard Ubuntu repository, altough it's not installed by default.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    i think i got my answer. when installing an .iso to usb, using a machine running only windows, this is not a option. thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Ubuntu will be hybrid.

    The daily ISOs for the Ubuntu Oneiric development cycle (and all official Ubuntu CD releases going forward)
    for i386 and x86_64 platforms will be now spun as hybrid ISOs.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=Hybrid

    But since flash drives are now larger I do not want just one ISO per flash drive. So I use grub2 to loop mount the ISO and can have as many ISO per flash as it will hold.

    MultiBoot USB with Grub2 (boot directly from iso files)
    Basically you just install grub2, create a folder for the isos and edit a grub.cfg to loop mount the isos.
    HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604
    http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1535864

    Or you can use a script to automate it.
    This is a script to install many ISOs. Some that will not loopmount by installing a kernel and boot image.
    MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1518273
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/multibootusb/files/
    Another: multiboot055.sh
    http://blog.p-mt.net/archives/644
    MultiSystem Another LiveUSB Multiboot
    http://liveusb.info/dotclear/
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Milano, Italy, EU
    Beans
    69

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Ubuntu will be hybrid.

    The daily ISOs for the Ubuntu Oneiric development cycle (and all official Ubuntu CD releases going forward)
    for i386 and x86_64 platforms will be now spun as hybrid ISOs.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=Hybrid

    But since flash drives are now larger I do not want just one ISO per flash drive. So I use grub2 to loop mount the ISO and can have as many ISO per flash as it will hold.

    MultiBoot USB with Grub2 (boot directly from iso files)
    Basically you just install grub2, create a folder for the isos and edit a grub.cfg to loop mount the isos.
    HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604
    http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1535864

    Or you can use a script to automate it.
    This is a script to install many ISOs. Some that will not loopmount by installing a kernel and boot image.
    MultiBootUSB - Install and boot multiple Linux from Pendrive / Flash drive / USB disk
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1518273
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/multibootusb/files/
    Another: multiboot055.sh
    http://blog.p-mt.net/archives/644
    MultiSystem Another LiveUSB Multiboot
    http://liveusb.info/dotclear/
    Thanks for this. I missed that post

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Beans
    5,666
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

    Re: Hybrid ISO

    Here is some further info regarding the Hybrid Images. Importantly, you can create additional partitions in the free space after writing the image to the USB drive.

    http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com...sc-images.html

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •