Thread: Instalation from USB stick freezes.

Beans

Exclamation Instalation from USB stick freezes.

I have already installed Ubuntu from my USB stick on my netbook. Now I wanna install it on my desktop too. Before installation I was going to check if me previous problem with changing resolution was fixed so I wanted to try Ubuntu from my USB stick. I used mentioned USB stick (there has been no changes done to it after my successful installation on netbook) but of course, it doesn't work on my desktop.

It boots fine and shows Installer boot menu. I have tried two options here: Run Ubuntu from this USB and Install Ubuntu on a Hard Disk. Selecting both of them ends with same problem. Black screen with these lines appears:
    Loading /casper/vmlinuz.......
    Loading /capser/initrd.lz................ready.
    and nothing happens. I even tried to wait hour and nothing happened.

Of course, I have wasted hours looking for solutions but no result. I have tried creating USB installation a few times and other things I have found on the Internet. Nothing has fixed this problem so far. I would like to point out I installed Ubuntu on that desktop about 2 months ago iirc using same method without any troubles. I use Universal USB Installer and try to make Ubuntu 11.04 working.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Instalation from USB stick freezes.

Have you tried to remove the files from the USB stick and start from scratch, it could be some file that got corrupted. Anyway that only happens with Natty, right?
    Intel P4 1,5 GHz | 512 MB | Ati Radeon 9250 | 80 GB + 20 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SalHelder View Post
    Have you tried to remove the files from the USB stick and start from scratch, it could be some file that got corrupted. Anyway that only happens with Natty, right?
    Do you think I would waste my and other people time posting about the issue without doing basic things like starting from scratch by formatting USB stick and creating USB installation again?

That's second time when I post on this forum about my troubles with Ubuntu. The result is that I always get told to do basic things - unfortunately my problems aren't that easy to solve and I can figure out these things myself. You are not gonna help me this way.

If you made at least some effort to read my post and used Universal USB Installer, you would understand what I meant in this part of my post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jot-z View Post
    I have tried creating USB installation a few times
    but you have no real knowledge about the problem.

I must say Ubuntu's support is really bad. It's not my intention to offend anybody but it's opinion based on my experiences from this forum and Ubuntu's IRC.

Well, I'll try to find help somewhere else. I'll post here if I find solution to described problem. At least people who are / will be in same situation like me, will be able to find here something helpful I hope.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You also don't provide much info, well can you post the specs of the computer? And does that desktop have a CD/DVD drive?
    Intel P4 1,5 GHz | 512 MB | Ati Radeon 9250 | 80 GB + 20 GB HD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SalHelder View Post
    You also don't provide much info, well can you post the specs of the computer? And does that desktop have a CD/DVD drive?
    I can provide any necessary info but I have to know what people need to solve my problem.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 560
    MB: Asus M3A
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    USB stick: SanDisk Cruzer Micro

I still don't see a point to post specification of my desktop (you may see a reason as you still haven't read my post) as I successfully installed Ubuntu on this desktop 2 months ago using same USB stick what I have pointed out in my first post.

I have DVD drive but I'm not gonna use it because Ubuntu is broken. Installation from USB stick should work, if it doesn't, I won't install Ubuntu as long as it's not fixed. I'm not gonna waste clean DVD's / CD's on burning Ubuntu or try any workarounds just because USB installation is bugged.