Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 Intel HD graphics (Sandy Bridge) Multiple Monitors display

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 Intel HD graphics (Sandy Bridge) Multiple Monitors display

Hello all, so I am very noobish here and need help.

I have an HP Pavilion g4-1104dx Notebook PC You can see it's build @ here

I have a Intel Pentium CPU B940 @ 2 GHz

I feel like I have searched around and tried to find a solution on ubuntuforums but I cannot find the solution, please assist.

I am working on a fresh ubuntu 10.04.3 install and after running

Code:
    sudo lshw -C video
    Output:
    HTML Code:
      *-display UNCLAIMED     
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 2
           bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
           version: 09
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: msi pm bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=0
           resources: memory:c0000000-c03fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:4000(size=64)
    Overall I want to be able to use an external monitor either through vga or my hdmi connection.

I do not think my graphics driver / configuration is how it should be.

I found the performance testing and here is some output:

PHP Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:0104] (rev 09)

SubsystemHewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:166d]

ControlI/OMemBusMasterSpecCycleMemWINVVGASnoopParErrSteppingSERRFastB2BDisINTx-

StatusCap66MHzUDFFastB2BParErrDEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERRINTx-

Latency0
        Capabilities
    : <access denied>

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0106] (rev 09)

StatusCap66MHzUDFFastB2BParErrDEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERRINTx-

Latency0
        Interrupt
    pin A routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0
    Memory at c0000000 (64-bitnon-prefetchable) [size=4M]

Region 2Memory at b0000000 (64-bitprefetchable) [size=256M]

Region 4I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]

Capabilities: <access denied>

00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Cougar Point HECI Controller #1 [8086:1c3a] (rev 04)

StatusCap66MHzUDFFastB2BParErrDEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERRINTx-

Latency0
        Interrupt
    pin A routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0
    Memory at c2604000 (64-bitnon-prefetchable) [size=16]

Capabilities: <access denied

I installed virtualbox (which is awesome btw) and my I had windows 7 rate my system as this is what I am accustomed too. I did not install the windows video drivers btw (was I supposed to for guest OS's... does virtual box do this already?

*see VBox.png*

I am not looking for a monster gaming machine, I just thought something was wrong.

I then read around and I think foolishly proceeded to add
    Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    from this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1779970

I then did a update manager and it updated what looked like some graphics drivers but after a restart it is still the generic configuration. BTW I simply removed the source and did not do a purge.

I proceeded to add the source http://ppa.launchpad.net/glasen/intel-driver/ubuntu and installed the drivers as well through the update manager.

My monitor is still unknown and I cannot get a difference resolution in ubuntu 10.04 than 1024x768, 800x600, 640x480. I would like larger...

I really want to be able to use my external monitor.

I intend on setting up compiz and eventually window snapping like in windows 7 but I want to make sure my graphics drivers are installed correctly. I tried enabling rain through the CompizConfig Settings Manager but I did not see any effects from it, so I think that is another sign my graphics are not working correctly.

I am typing this from my ubuntu machine now but the aspect ratio I think that's it seems different and a little fuzzier than what it was before I updated the repository.

Any suggestions?

BTW, this is my first laptop where it is 100% linux. Yes I have virtualbox but that is only for my dedicated windows programs I must use and only are for windows. BTW virtual box is awesome.

Is there a checklist for installing ubuntu for fresh installs to make sure you have all your drivers installed correctly?

I found this forum 10.04 with Intel Sandy Bridge Integrated Graphics (max 800x600) - how to change it
    that says

Quote Originally Posted by @Dilli View Post
    We're facing similar problems with a H67 motherboard. You could try to install a new intel driver from: https://launchpad.net/~glasen/+archive/intel-driver

The complete resolutions are shown with this driver, but our machine is jumping back to the login screen when we're trying to change them.
    Should I follow it?

Thank you everyone,

ATMOS_SKY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ATMOS_SKY; August 9th, 2011 at 04:19 AM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Intel HD graphics (Sandy Bridge) Multiple Monitors display

I found this posting

Quote Originally Posted by MrEgg View Post
    Yes, you need all 3. You can find the final release of 2.6.38 here : http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...v2.6.38-natty/. Just grab whatever version you're using, 32 or 64 bit. This is where I got my kernel from, and so for it's very stable. So in my case, 64-bit, I got and installed, in that order :
    1. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...151303_all.deb
    2. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1303_amd64.deb
    3. http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1303_amd64.deb

After you install a new kernel, you want to update grub :
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Then, indeed, a reboot is required.

You want to ignore Synaptic's kernel updates, as it has older versions. If by mistake you do update the kernel from Synaptic, no big deal : by default, it's always the latest kernel that gets loaded on boot. So you'll stay with 2.6.38 no matter what.
    I am not brave enough to follow it as I do not know how to move back to something that is at least functional.

any suggestions?

Beans

thanks this works for me

Beans

this is the command i use after installing a fresh 10.04.3 on a hp probook 4530s

Beans

sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty linux-headers-generic-lts-backport-natty

Beans

G'day

1> Are you after BOTH the laptop and the external monitor working at the same time as in a "stretched desktop" setup across both monitors? (forgot the correct jargon name for it)

Or is it you have a larger external monitor (such 21") that you wish to use instead of the laptop display?
    If it is the second then using the F5 or F6 function keys in combination with the special activate function key located on the left of the keyboard may work. (check manual for "How to use Projector" with laptop).

Hope this helps abit.

Cheers
    Last edited by MagicThinker; October 25th, 2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Scrub that, bit side tracked