Thread: Hot Key to change Desktops in Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hot Key to change Desktops in Unity

I Have a netbook, running 11.04 Desktop space is at a real premium. so I tend to use all 4 configured desk tops Is there a hot key combo to switch between desktops
    Liberty in Life and Freedom in Software.

Beans

Re: Hot Key to change Desktops in Unity

Hi there. Try this:

Ctrl+Alt+ARROW
    , where ARROW is the corresponding Arrow Key to go from your current desktop to the desired desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks,
    I tried to Google for an answer, but all I found was instructions on how to change out Unity for gnomes.. I'm really trying to give Unity a a chance. Changing desktops was a huge issue with me.

Thanks !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You could get a little retro and install gnome-panel-fallback. That should give you a bottom panel while running Ubuntu (Unity). In Natty that panel should contain a desktop icon, room for several running apps and desktop switcher on the right. The different desktops are not easy to see on a dark pane but if you hover your cursor over them they'll show up. I don't know what if any problems are caused by this but it works in 11.04 and 11.10 Alpha 3 so far. This makes the Unity DE usable for me.

Of course on a netbook that bar takes up space you may not want to give up so do what works.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; August 7th, 2011 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs up Re: Hot Key to change Desktops in Unity

That would be a good idea on a "real" computer, The problem is this netbook doesn't have any desktop to spare. I haven't been real crazy about Unity but it seems to make better use out of a limited size desktop. I don't know if i would ever want to get rid of my spinning cube, dual panels with docky on my workstation though.

Beans

ds

ds