Thread: Gnome 3 & Unity & Files question

Beans
    Hidden!

Gnome 3 & Unity & Files question

Is it possible to still have a "desktop" with a big heap of files scattered all over it, with Gnome 3?

Or is it like Unity, and I have to open the file browser to even get to my files?

Thanks for any help.

-zami

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Gnome 3 & Unity & Files question

If you wish to open new folders, place icons etc. on the desktop and generally clutter it up then you can. However, Gnome 3 Shell will not let you do it by default.

You can install Gnome Tweak Tool http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome.../msg00291.html and then set the File Manager to 'Handle the Desktop'. You will then have right click access to your desktop and be able to place short cuts on it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Gnome 3 & Unity & Files question

Excellent, thank you!

And yes, call me old fashioned but I still prefer a "desktop" with a heap of files sitting on it.

I don't start programs with icon launchers anyhow so I don't need the panels and fancy sorting - I just alt+f2 to start programs. (Except the trash can. Heh.)

"Desktop" really is my dumping and sorting grounds. It's not really a big mess, currently it's about four directories. But it serves as my "inbox" I guess. When files automatically go to /home/me or /downloads I just forget to deal with them, because they aren't staring me in the face.

Thanks for the help!

-zami