Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to fix corrupted partition from ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to fix corrupted partition from ubuntu?

As I said earlier, I think we need input from someone other than me but from what I've seen in other threads I think it is likely that eventually there will be a need to do some work with the testdisk program. Please review this wiki and that will help you to understand what someone more knowledgeable than you and I recommend. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk In the meantime I'll keep studying myself. Please do answer the questions I asked a few minutes ago.

Thanks
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

So when I boot windows I see D:\ but I cannot see how much space is occupied/left in there. What do you mean if I get any errors ? I have a lot of important documents, ISOs and things like that on this partition.

Do shrunk the partition I have used Gparted just by shrinking its size by around 1 GB and then clicking apply, then I get this error while it was checking the filesystem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would first make a backup of all files in all of your other partitions.

I think you should download the most recent version of Parted Magic Live CD and burn it to disc or make a live USB out of it. Parted magic contains the most recent versions of GParted and most other supporting applications including TestDisk.

You should to read the illustrated examples in the TestDisk website about how to use TestDisk, especially if it's your first time using TestDisk.

Then I would use TestDisk in Parted Magic to scan the hard disk for partitions and I would restore the primary partitions plus /dev/sda5 only. I would not try to restore any partitions on the other side of the sda5 NTFS data partition for the time being.

If you do that then TestDisk should write a new partition table to agree with the (original) size for /sda5 to suit the file system in /dev/sda5 and that (with luck) will allow you to recover your data.

Good luck, I hope that will work for you.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro

Ok, in the meantime I have tried to make a "backup" with Clonezilla live USB and I get a perfect clone of my hard drive but I got an error and now I have my partition on the 'target' drive which Gparted says is without a file system.

I wanted to give Testdisk a try but I would like to have a 'backup' to restore to it later on if anything fails.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The best way I know of is to use the dd command, but that's not considered 'safe' nowadays. It's possible to make a mistake with it and destroy data if a person doesn't understand how to use the dd command correctly or just if a person doesn't use it carefully. For that reason I hesitate to advise anyone to use the dd command, although it seems to me it would be the best way to make a copy of your damaged file system.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans
    Distro

Ok, so I have finally solved this issue. Here is how I did this:
    I have indeed used TestDisk but not to repair the filesystem but to copy the data onto the external drive thanks to the restoring ustilities. Then I reformatted the D: partition (sda5), copied my stuff back, then I get and error saying that I have some issues with booting so I have used the windows 7 DVD and repaired the system and voila ! I have all my files and everything back as I wanted

Beans
    Hidden!

What part of testdisk did you use to copy the files?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123