Thread: Simple python query

Hybrid View

Beans

Simple python query

Sorry to have to post this but it has had me scratching my head for an hour or two, no obvious answers using search and I though a wiser head could possibly save me some frustration. I'm trying python for the first time and I want to use the quikgrid add on functions. Downloaded and compiled quikgrid, the library all ok but when I try the capy_test.py program, it complains that it can't find the shared library. error is:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "capi_test.py", line 1, in <module>
        from capi import SurfaceGrid
      File "/home/wilf/quikgrid-read-only/python/quikgrid/capi.py", line 23, in <module>
        raise ImportError("Cannot find libquikgrid shared object.")
    ImportError: Cannot find libquikgrid shared object.
    But - libquikgrid.so is available in both the current directory and /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages
    which is listed as in the path by python

Code:
    wilf@wilf-desktop:~/quikgrid-read-only/python/quikgrid$ python -c "import sys; print sys.path"
    ['', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/quikgrid-0.5.3a-py2.6.egg', '/usr/lib/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/PIL', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gst-0.10', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gtk-2.0', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0', '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages']
    I've checked permissions and ensured they're readable so possibly the error comes from the capi_test routine - being a total python noob I'd have no way of knowing (yet)

relevant capi_test code is
    Code:
    lqg = None 
    for ext in ['so','dylib','so']: 
        try: 
            lqg = CDLL( os.path.join(os.path.basename(__file__), 'libquikgrid.' + ext ) ) 
        except OSError,e: 
            pass 

if not lqg: 
        raise ImportError("Cannot find libquikgrid shared object.")
    all a bit of a mystery to me at this stage as it looks as if it should work, I would be grateful if someone could give me a pointer or two

Bouncingwilf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Simple python query

The python path is for loading python modules which I assume this is not on account of the .so extension.

After installing the library check that it is in a place listed in /etc/ld.so.conf or add an entry, then run ldconfig as root.

Beans

Well I've added an entry in /etc/ld.so.conf.d, run ldconfig and also added a copy to /usr/lib/python2.6 but still the same error!

any further ideas please?

Bouncingwilf

Beans

Well I've sort of solved it by re-writing the python code to search the current directory ( I think - groping about in the dark here!)

The relevant code is

Code:
    try:
        lqg = CDLL( './libquikgrid.so' )
    except OSError,e:
        lqg = CDLL(find_library('quikgrid'))
    This now works. Hopefully as time goes on I'll understand what I deleted!

Bouncingwilf