Thread: Can't Install StrongVPN PPTP on 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can't Install StrongVPN PPTP on 10.04

I'm having problems installing strongvpn pptp on ubuntu 10.04. I've followed the instructions on

http://vpnblog.info/ubuntu-pptp-strongvpn.html and

Unfortunately I have no network manager icon. I've used Synaptic Package Manager to install all network manager related packages, and restarted the machine. The system monitor shows "nm-applet Sleeping." So perhaps if I could wake up the nm-applet (assuming that is the network manager applet) I could solve the problem that way.

I was also advised to try this method:

http://mystrongvpn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=964

However, after creating this file, and running "sudo pon <filename>" where <filename> was the name of the file I created, I still had no vpn access.

Any other suggestions on how to get this set up?

In case it's not already obvious, I'm quite the rookie, so please take that into account with the advice. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Install StrongVPN PPTP on 10.04

Some more failed attempts to fix this problem:

I basically followed the instructions in this post, and got the same error messages:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...plet-icon.html

john@dell-desktop:~$ nm-applet
    An instance of nm-applet is already running.

** (nm-applet:7491): WARNING **: <WARN> constructor(): Couldn't initialize the D-Bus manager.

john@dell-desktop:~$ killall nm-applet
    john@dell-desktop:~$ nm-applet &
    [1] 7505
    john@dell-desktop:~$ ** (nm-applet:7505): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0

john@dell-desktop:~$ ^C
    Then I tried restarting network manager, and got this:

john@dell-desktop:/etc/init.d$ sudo restart network-manager
    network-manager start/running, process 8278
    john@dell-desktop:/etc/init.d$ ** (nm-applet:7505): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
    ** (nm-applet:7505): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb

** (nm-applet:7505): WARNING **: nma_menu_vpn_item_clicked: no active connection or device.
    The network manager icon has now appeared. I can click on the icon, get a VPN option, and then click on StrongVPN. However, nothing happens when I select Strong VPN.

I tried running grep ppp /var/log/messages > pppoutput so that I could provide IT service with the file. I got several permission denied errors. So I shut down the terminal, restarted it, and successfully ran grep ppp /var/log/messages > pppoutput.

However, the network manager icon has now disappeared again. And when I retry the restart, I get this:

john@dell-desktop:~$ sudo restart network-manager
    [sudo] password for john:
    network-manager start/running, process 8827
    john@dell-desktop:~$
    Where to from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't Install StrongVPN PPTP on 10.04

Something else I've tried without success:

john@dell-desktop:~$ service network-manager stop
    stop: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.84" (uid=1000 pid=12710 comm="stop) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Stop" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
    john@dell-desktop:~$ service network-manager start
    start: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.85" (uid=1000 pid=12714 comm="start) interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Start" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart" (uid=0 pid=1 comm="/sbin/init"))
    john@dell-desktop:~$