Thread: Print to File plain text option instead of just PDF and PS

getut is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

Print to File plain text option instead of just PDF and PS

How can I print to a plain ascii text file?

There is the built in KDE option to print to file that only allows PDF or PS. I tried adding a printer and chose generic text but it still has to tie it to a port or device uri instead of going to a file.

Beans

Re: Print to File plain text option instead of just PDF and PS

To the best of my knowledge, you can't. The only reason you can print to PS is that it is a printer language and PDF is a superset of it.

What are you trying to achieve that copy/paste or Save As... won't do? There may be another way -- there are tools to convert PDF or PS to flat text but they may not be appropriate depending on what you are trying to do.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

getut is offline Oops! My Coffee Cup is empty.
    Beans

Re: Print to File plain text option instead of just PDF and PS

Quote Originally Posted by decoherence View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, you can't. The only reason you can print to PS is that it is a printer language and PDF is a superset of it.

What are you trying to achieve that copy/paste or Save As... won't do? There may be another way -- there are tools to convert PDF or PS to flat text but they may not be appropriate depending on what you are trying to do.
    It's not that I can't get it into text in any way. I can copy and paste from PDF to text, but am looking for a direct to text file option to reduce time since we are printing quite a few of these from an AS400 and then using the text data to build more documents.