Thread: There's a New Sherrif (OS) in Town...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking There's a New Sherrif (OS) in Town...

It's Ubuntu 10.04 LTS!

FINALLY a media OS in the Linux flavor I've been searching for years! You have broke the mold! Outstanding performance. Still putting everything together for my needs and so far IMO out performs Windows.

What ever you did from this version to 11.04 needs to be removed and do a re-start from this version again! Please don't break this version! Keep it the way it is, but just make it even better (where ever it needs it). This out performs my Zorin 5 Ultimate in all catagories. I'm a happy camper now!

I love this preempt kernel!
    Last edited by VcDeveloper; August 28th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: There's a New Sherrif (OS) in Town...

Im using 10.04 ,too. Ubuntustudio 11.10 is rumored to use the xfce desktop instead of gnome3 or unity, and also the newer linux will have irq threading, which wont require a rt kernel for lower latency, so im excited bout this coming october s ubuntustudio release..

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: There's a New Sherrif (OS) in Town...

Did you make any drastic changes to the preempt kernal? My cpu is working harder since this last update just as it did when I had the normal flavor of 10.04 TLS.

Before this last update I was able to watch my movies on my VM without it pushing the cpu hard or starting Inkscape and running Kdenlive.

Please put it back the way it was and leave it alone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

If you don't like the kernel, boot previous.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    If you don't like the kernel, boot previous.
    What part of my post didn't you understand? I like the kernal! It's doing very well, but before the last update my cpu wasn't pushing hard to run the above mention.

So please! My comment is for ubuntu to let them know about the changes they made. Overall it's still my favorite flavor and I have no plans of going nowhere!

Beans

Updates are like kidney stones. The bigger they are, the more pain you experience. You are now assimilated into the ranks of those who reinstall 10.04 one more time, and then leave well enough alone,
    to enjoy the music.

I would also delete any apps that you don't use. The fewer apps you have, the less likely it is that some alpha/beta bug will ensnare part of your system.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your reply! I still get excellent performance!

Question, what type of programs should I be aware of not to install, because I need kdenlive, kate and krusader are excellent apps and needed also.

Beans

I try to avoid anything that installs loads of dependencies, requires
    an additional gui toolkit, and offers only duplicated functionality.
    There are loads of comms and networking apps I never use, as well as
    bluetooth, printing and samba. But it's gotten harder to do, since devs
    apply sseemingly unrelated dependencies, discovered when using synaptic to uninstall. So I switched to using barebones E17 based distros, in the 200-300 meg size, and anything not in their repositories, I add by using dpkg -i xyz.deb from PPAs or the debian unstable repository. My /usr/bin folder is due for a cleanup, weighing
    in at a massive 370 meg. My fault, since I installed gimp, inkscape, blender, and scribus, deceiving myself that I'll have the time to actually learn and use them.
    Cheers