View Poll Results: Do you like Firefox rapid release model?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it

29 12.45%
  • I like it

49 21.03%
  • I am not sure

17 7.30%
  • I don't care

39 16.74%
  • I don't like it

44 18.88%
  • I hate it

26 11.16%
  • I am still using Firefox 3.6

13 5.58%
  • I don't use Firefox

16 6.87%
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you like Firefox rapid release model?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you like Firefox rapid release model?

There is a lot of discussion lately about the new rapid release model adopted by Mozilla. As an add-on developer and "power user", I had some concerns, but am really starting to love it.

Here are some of the reasons I like it:

• New features and improvements are being delivered faster than ever. We can clearly see considerable performance improvement since Firefox 4.
    • Add-on compatibility has been always an issue when deciding to upgrade. When Firefox 4 was released it took a lot of time to get compatibility for all the extensions I use. With the new release model and automatic compatibility bump, extensions that do not have incompatible code are being updated automatically, so we don't need to wait for the developers to take action.
    • Because of the new release model, the Ubuntu MozillaTeam provides a firefox-stable ppa and firefox-next ppa. Additionally, Ubuntu official repositories are now delivering Firefox updates that we wouldn't get without a ppa.
    • When a new version was released before, there were so many changes, that I had to re-write many things in the extensions code. Now, show stopper changes between versions are less common and most of the time I don't even need to edit my extensions.
    • When Firefox 3.6 gets retired, there will be only one Firefox stable branch and users will move faster to newer versions, thus there will be less need to keep backwards compatibility code in my extensions.

Here are some interesting articles to read:

http://www.oxymoronical.com/blog/201...-break-add-ons
    http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2011/...apid-releases/
    http://www.conceivablytech.com/8649/...-and-ie-is-not
    http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2011/07...working-group/
    http://www.conceivablytech.com/8186/...ss-for-mozilla

For support see Firefox 9 & Beyond Mega Thread
    Last edited by lovinglinux; December 21st, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Do you like Firefox rapid release model?

I love it.

Aurora, 7.02a, running like a champ. The main thing for me is, Jägermonkey gets better with every version. I stay away from Nightly, because nothing works with it, but the others are great.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

No opinion. As long as it works, I couldn't care less about the version number.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    I love it.

Aurora, 7.02a, running like a champ. The main thing for me is, Jägermonkey gets better with every version. I stay away from Nightly, because nothing works with it, but the others are great.
    I also tried the nightly version, but got to many issues with add-ons. I am happy with the beta for now, but I will try 7.0a1 again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    No opinion. As long as it works, I couldn't care less about the version number.
    The main concern is not about version number, is about features, compatibility and stability. Some people are complaining that Firefox will have a weird number soon, but that is the same as complaining about the Shiretoko/Namoroka logos. It doesn't really matter.

Beans
    Hidden!

+ it might be a HW issue on my part, but Aurora starts up faster than Chrome unstable here, both cold and warm. I got ABP and two other addons on both.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    The main concern is not about version number, is about features, compatibility and stability. Some people are complaining that Firefox will have a weird number soon, but that is the same as complaining about the Shiretoko/Namoroka logos. It doesn't really matter.
    That's what I meant by "as long as it works", it really means "as long as a feature I want is not removed and it doesn't become overly unstable". I use only "big" add-ons (NoScript, AdBlock, DownloadHelper, ScreenGrab) so I don't think compatibility will become an issue any time soon.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    That's what I meant by "as long as it works", it really means "as long as a feature I want is not removed and it doesn't become overly unstable". I use only "big" add-ons (NoScript, AdBlock, DownloadHelper, ScreenGrab) so I don't think compatibility will become an issue any time soon.
    You might have issues with ScreenGrab, which wasn't updated very frequently. However, I switched to Awesome Screenshot, so I have no idea if SG is being updated frequently these days.

Beans

Still on 3.6, and loving it.
    I've had a newer version in my laptop (don't know which one, had no toolbars, the address bar was in each tab, the reload button on the right, and it had an orange "Firefox" button on the upper left corner), and didn't like it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post
    I've had a newer version in my laptop (don't know which one, had no toolbars, the address bar was in each tab, the reload button on the right, and it had an orange "Firefox" button on the upper left corner), and didn't like it at all.
    You can customize all of that. Just right click on anything on the toolbar, customize, and off you go.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Inodoro Pereyra View Post
    Well, Firefox 5 is still very customizable. You can move everything to the position you like, including the address bar and the reload button. Toolbars can be hidden and you can add custom toolbars. The orange Firefox button can be disabled or moved. You can have sidebar on the right or floating, tabs on the right vertically displayed or at the bottom and much more. If you don't know how to make it look the way you like, stop by the Firefox 4, 5 & Beyond Mega Thread and ask what you want. I will be glad to help you.

Here is how mine looks like now:

BTW, address bar in each tab doesn't exist.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast