Thread: Sound Blaster Audigy problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sound Blaster Audigy problems

Hey guys,

I've been using Ubuntu 10.10 for a few months now (after about a 5 year hiatus from all things Linux) and when I first booted up, everything worked perfectly out of the box except audio. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 sound card, and after searching the forums I used <a href='http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-no-sound-sound-blaster-audigy-after-upgrading-from-ubuntu-9-04-to-9-10.html'>these instructions</a> to successfully get my audio working.

Now, I'd like to try Kubuntu. Like Ubuntu, when I use the live CD everything but audio works. However, I can't install gnome-alsamixer like I did to fix the sound under Ubuntu (of course, I may not have had all the repositories enabled, I didn't think of this until later). Also, KMix didn't seem to offer an option that worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get the Audigy sound card working in Kubuntu 10.10? Thanks!

Any suggestions on how to get sound going?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Sound Blaster Audigy problems

So, I've been poking around on other threads, and it seems to me that Kubuntu may not utilize alsa at all, but rather, pulse audio serves the function in KDE that alsa did in Gnome.

Can anyone help? I really like Kubuntu, but I have to have sound.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Beans

Re: Sound Blaster Audigy problems

is there any reason you can't install alsa mixer? I just installed the gnome-alsamixer package from within kubuntu.

HOWEVER... I have an Audigy 2 Platinum, and it's still not qorking despite the solution mentioned in your link.