Thread: Help! Mac won't boot lion or ubuntu

Beans

Help! Mac won't boot lion or ubuntu

I tried installing ubunutu on my macbook pro (7,1 I believe, with lion 7.2 installed) today and ended with result of a nonbooting computer, the ubuntu partition won't boot either! I'll try to explain all the steps.

1. I first installed rEFit.
    2. Next I booted from a burned copy of the latest release of ubuntu on a dvd.
    3. I created a partition of 5120 mb from the freespace on my harddrive, I made sure to leave the mac partition intact.
    4. I finished the install, it said to ejct disc and hit enter, I did, the computer froze. I ended up having to hold the power button.
    5. The computer just showed a white screen. It wouldn't boot to the rEFit screen or anything. It just resulted in falling back to lions recovery partion. Disc utility couln't verify ubuntu's or lion's partitions.

I am at a loss. Please help

Beans

Re: Help! Mac won't boot lion or ubuntu

hello im new here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You shouldn't attempt to boot via disc on a Apple.

If you install extra OS on a Apple -- You will want to use "Bootstrap" a Macintosh program . It is free, avaliable at apple.com... It is a Virtual Machine ware that allows you to platform off other Operating Systems.

Apple is made to run ONLY Apple. You will have to reinstall your APPLE OSX with the repair button / key or what ever apple uses to repair a system.

After you repair your apple computer... Get the VM ware called Bootstrap and install Ubuntu with the Bootstrap software.

Beans

Hi,

When you mentioned that 'Bootstrap' is available on apple.com, I don't suppose you have the link do you?
    I ask because I could not find anything relating to bootstrap when searching on the apple website, and I assume that you are not talking about bootcamp.
    So if it is no longer on the website, does this mean that the program is no longer available?

Thanks.