Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 227 for the week July 31 - August 6, 2011.
In This Issue
- The Road to Alpha 3
- Oneiric Ocelot Alpha 3 Released
- Ubuntu Stats
- LoCo News
- Launchpad News
- Ubuntu Membership and Contributions to Upstream Projects
- Making Ubuntu a Platform for App Developers The Survey
- Ubuntu Desktop Manager Talks Aiming For Apple, Community Feedback, Unity Polish and More
- Ubuntu 11.10 Adds Options to Change Launcher Opacity, Hide Mounted Drives, More
- Featured Podcasts
- Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
- Upcoming Meetings and Events
- Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04
- And much more!
General Community News
Interview with Cheri Francis on UDS
Elizabeth Krumbach interviews Ubuntu contributor Cheri Francis on her experiences at the Ubuntu Developer Summit (UDS) held in Budapest this past May.
The Road to Alpha 3
All of the work the desktop team has done the past week has landed in the recently released Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 3, while the Unity team have been concentrating on feature work and backlog bugs.
Thunderbird & Evolution Usability Testing
This article has highlights from the recent Usability Testing done on both the Thunderbird and Evolution E-mail clients, handled by an external consultant at the Canonical offices in London.
Oneiric Ocelot Alpha 3 Released
The second of a series of milestone images, Oneiric Oceltot Alpha 3, was officially released on the 4th of August; links to installation images are provided.
- Open (89061) +4755 over last week
- Critical (183) +24 over last week
- Unconfirmed (47648) +1082 over last week
As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
Translation Stats Oneiric
1. Spanish: (11882) +1314 over last week
2. Brazilian Portuguese: (53054) +1117 over last week
3. English (United Kingdom): (54693) +4216 over last week
4. French: (76170) +4944 over last week
5. German: (78889) +2986 over last week
Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Oncelot", see more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/ and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations
Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week
- Change Language In Time and Date Applet - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28353/
Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/
Ask Ubuntu Top 5 Questions this week
- How to use "grep" command to find text including subdirectories - http://askubuntu.com/questions/55325...subdirectories
- Is the command line structure the same for Linux and Ubuntu? - http://askubuntu.com/questions/55397...nux-and-ubuntu
- How do I create panes within a Nautilus window? - http://askubuntu.com/questions/55446...autilus-window
- What is the blue triangle on the home button for? - http://askubuntu.com/questions/56003...ome-button-for
- How can I install add-apt-repository - http://askubuntu.com/questions/55478...ository-closed
Ask (and answer!) your own questions at http://askubuntu.com
Jono Bacon: Kick Out The Jam
Ubuntu Community Manager Jono Bacon makes a call to all LoCo Teams to help bring Ubuntu to the masses by arranging Global Jams in their areas. He includes a How-to for throwing a Global Jam.
Fast JSONCache updates now active for improved responsiveness
You can now get updated copies of the IJSONRequestCache, to make it easier to update your pages on Launchpad.
Ubuntu Women: Now on Social Media
Ubuntu Women has expanded it's presence beyond IRC, discussion forums, website, wiki and mailing lists to various social networking mediums. The project is now active on Twitter, Facebook and identi.ca.
Ubuntu Cloud Portal: Ensemble Orchestra integration, repos and more
Ensemble has gotten some additional features in the past week which are explored in this post, including better cobbler and Orchestra integration. There are also several new formulas in the works.
Elizabeth Krumbach: Ubuntu earrings - now in silver!
Boutique Academia started producing and selling earrings with the Ubuntu logo on them back in June. Now they are available in silver colored rhodium plating in addition to the gold plated original design. $6 per pair of the total price of $18.99 will go in benefit of Partimus.org which puts Ubuntu-based systems in the hands of school children.
Matthew East: Ubuntu Membership and Contributions to Upstream Projects
A recurring theme on the ubuntu-devel mailing list has been the question if someone contributing to an upstream project should be eligible for Ubuntu Membership. Matthew East given his views on this and the question, which are upstream projects and which are Ubuntu projects?
Dustin Kirkland: A Formal Introduction to The Ubuntu Orchestra Project
Dustin Kirkland has identified that the Orchestra project may not have been communicated clearly enough across the whole Ubuntu landscape and attempts to do so in this post. He gives a quick history of the project before delving into a lot of detail on what exactly Orchestra is.
David Planella: Making Ubuntu a Platform for App Developers The Survey
David Planella puts a call out to the Application Developer community to participate in a survey that will be used to help make developer.ubuntu.com a truly useful resource for developers.
Read his blog post about it here: http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2...rs-the-survey/
Direct link to the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/N9GXFGR
Valorie Zimmerman: Contributions of Non-Technical People
Valorie Zimmerman, Amarok document writer extraordinaire reminds everyone how non-technical people can contribute to their favorite FLOSS projects, and tells about her path that has led her up to writing her blogpost in Berlin.
In The Press
How to customize Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment
This IT World article offers 5 tips to get the most out of Unity and links to other resources to help users get familiar with the new interface.
Ubuntu: The desktop Linux with the cloud inside
Other operating systems are now pushing for more cloud integration for their desktops, but as this article discusses, Ubuntu already offers several similar services out of the box, and has since 2009. They discuss Ubuntu One and the recent push for the Ubuntu App Developer portal.
Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 3 - behind the scenes with Oneiric Ocelot
Dave Walker gives a behind the scenes tour of the upcoming changes for the 11.10 release. He discusses the move to Thunderbird, the formal dropping of Synaptic from default in favor of the Software Center, which also has significant changes and more.
Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 3 Has Firefox 6 and Thunderbird 6
This Softpedia article gives an overview of software versions in the latest Alpha 3 release (with screenshots!) and quickly checks in with the development of Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
In The Blogosphere
Condensed Variant of Ubuntu Font Debuts
A condensed version of the Ubuntu Font Family that consists of one weight "regular" and without accompanying italic has been made available to a private testing PPA.
Ubuntu Desktop Manager Talks Aiming For Apple, Community Feedback, Unity Polish and More
OMG Ubuntu! interviews Jason Warner, the Ubuntu Desktop Manager, about his role, the diversity of the community, processing feedback and polishing Unity to help reach the 200 million user goal.
Many Ubuntu Users Still Hate The Unity Desktop
Recently Phoronix asked its readers what do they dislike or hate in Ubuntu and after two weeks collected the responses. While the main annoyance the readers had given in the 13 page discussion thread was Unity, some other popular bugbears were hardware compatibility and packages.
Ubuntu 11.10 Adds Options to Change Launcher Opacity, Hide Mounted Drives, More
OMG Ubuntu! explores and offers screenshots for some of the changes 11.10 has in store, including the ability to hide mounted drives in your launcher, Change Launcher Opacity and adjust the edge reveal timeout.
Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 3 Released - Changes and Screenshots
Ubuntu Vibes offers a tour of changes in 11.10, complete with screenshots and a YouTube video covering Unity 2d, the new application switcher and more.
In Other News
New game titles in the Ubuntu Software Center
Two new games for sale have been added to the Ubuntu Software Center, BEEP! by Big Fat Alien (control a "precision robot vehicle" while you explore the unniverse) and Heileen from Hanako Games (an anime adventure set in the New World).
S04E12 - More Tea Vicar
The latest Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo Team has been released and is entitled, "More Tea Vicar". Check the link and join Laura Cowen, Mark Johnson, Alan Pope, and Tony Whitmore as they talk about projects like the video editor in the making, Novacut, and much much more.
Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
- Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for August 2nd, 2011 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2011-08-02
- Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for August 2nd, 2011 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting/2011-08-02
- Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for August 5th, 2011 - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2011-08-05
Upcoming Meetings and Events
For upcoming meetings and events please visit the calendars at ubuntu-news.org: http://ubuntu-news.org/calendars/
Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04
- [USN-1182-1] Samba vulnerabilities - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/001388.html
- [USN-1183-1] Linux kernel vulnerabilities - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...st/001389.html
Ubuntu 8.04 Updates
- samba_3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.15_hppa_translations.tar.gz- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ha...st/012675.html
Ubuntu 10.04 Updates
- samba_3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.7_powerpc_translations.tar.gz- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lu...st/012426.html
Ubuntu 10.10 Updates
- samba_3.5.4~dfsg-1ubuntu8.5_amd64_translations.tar.gz- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ma...st/009560.html
Ubuntu 11.04 Updates
- pyfltk 1.1.5-3ubuntu0.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...st/012060.html
- preseed 1.48ubuntu0.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...st/012061.html
- haskell-platform 2010.1.0.0.1ubuntu0.1 - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...st/012062.html
- samba_3.5.8~dfsg-1ubuntu2.3_amd64_translations.tar.gz - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/na...st/012063.html
- Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below for the information you need.
Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to you via email at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-news
You can always find older Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter issues at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter
Additional Ubuntu News
As always you can find more news and announcements at:
Thank you for reading the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.
See you next week!
The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:
- Elizabeth Krumbach
- Miia Ranta
- Neil Oosthuizen
- Penelope Stowe
- Nathan Handler
- And many others
Glossary of Terms
Other acronyms can be found at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary
Ubuntu - Get Involved
The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate
This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu News Team mailing list at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/lis...untu-news-team and submit it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical support questions, please send them to email@example.com.
Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License - http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/