Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does the u equal the u?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does the u equal the u?

Sorry for the harsh words, but I need help. I have tried to load my hd with ubuntu a bunch of times. got a 80g hd with xp on it now. Have another hd 150g with xp too, would like to put ubunto on the small hd. I have formatted clean, put xp back on, tried to boot from usb, tried to boot from live, tried the wubi and nothing f'ing works.

All i want is ubuntu running on my pc clean and I will gladly join the community.

Give me some guidance, please, I know my media was getting burned bad the past few attempts, but now I have a live install cd running that has not moved in hours, and I verified it with the menu options before trying to boot from the disc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Does the u equal the u?

So maybe some specifics about what fails or isn't working..

If it's any easier, maybe temporarily removing the 150 gig drive would be the way to start out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please post the full specifications for the computer in question and, as suggested above, details on what steps you have taken and what is going wrong at each stage.

Also provide details about other operating systems on the computer and especially if you already have 4 primary partitions (the maximum allowed in most cases).

The more you tell us, the better we can help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank both of you. I have disconnected the other hd, so thats it.
    Has and emachines 2.93 ghz pentium 4 processor, with the 81g and150g. Both have working version of sp. Wubi gives a message about ntldr not being there. The live cd goes nowhere, freezes during intsalll. Let me know how I make this u something else.

Let me know,
    Last edited by bradlees; August 3rd, 2011 at 05:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So you want to boot Ubuntu from a external hard drive?
    Well you can extract an ISO to a external hard-disk using Winrar in Windows XP.

If you are trying to install Ubuntu too the external hard disk via a USB port

You will have to first go to your BIOS... Set up the Advanced configurations for boot --
    Boot from CD as your first option...
    Boot from USB as your second option ..
    Boot from Hard disk as your third.

Then when you install Ubuntu select the external drive as your storage device.

Once you restart your computer you should have it load ... As long as you set up your computer Bios to boot from a USB.

To get to your BIO .. You will have to restart your computer and press DELETE at the *very* first startup screen. Before Window loads.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bradlees View Post
    I have disconnected the other hd, so thats it.
    From the way you sound, there's nothing you need to save on that HD. Just set the boot order in your bios to boot from the CD Rom first and let the livecd start from there. When in there, there will be a short cut to actually install on the HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by EkuquoL View Post
    I did not see that mentioned; what did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by EkuquoL View Post

To get to your BIO .. You will have to restart your computer and press DELETE at the *very* first startup screen. Before Window loads.
    Or <F2> or ... Depends on the BIOS
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

the u equals nothing right now, null set some ****. Tried with an internal hd, a usb and generideviec and not a one works. the media was faulty at some point, but through process of elimination, a man will stand. Unite the tribes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know how to get into bios and select boot order, etc. And I don't mean to sound like a ****, but things are starting to get annoying. i don't care about the hd, restored xp to it bc it wouldn't do anything with a wiped hd at all. Basically, got a system with a blank os, would like a linux-based set up on my c: drive. Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bradlees View Post
    I know how to get into bios and select boot order, etc.
    So what's stopping you from setting the boot order to boot to the CD first and then allowing that to actually boot the CD? Obviously, you're seeing the disk because you were referring to Wubi earlier.

Unless there's something wrong with the drive, I see no reason why this wouldn't boot to the CD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast