Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus eee PC 1001 PX - Right audio speaker not working properly

Beans

Red face Asus eee PC 1001 PX - Right audio speaker not working properly

Hello guys!
    I installed ubuntu in my netbook a few months ago, and it is really cool and fast. Unfortunately, this morning I encountered a problem while listening to some music, both with Banshee and VLC.
    I was listening to some DOORS songs (in these songs, all the instruments are splitted, some come from the left speaker, other ones from the right one) and I noticed that no sound was coming from the right speaker (I also tested it in the speakers test in Audio Preferences --> Hardware). I'm wondering whether this is a hardware problem (eg. my right speaker has broken) or it is a issue experienced by other people too. If there any commands that can help, anything is appreciated (although I'm a new Ubuntu user).
    Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus eee PC 1001 PX - Right audio speaker not working properly

First of all, what version of Ubuntu are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by moskiz.rnr View Post
    (I also tested it in the speakers test in Audio Preferences --> Hardware).
    Do you mean you went to Sound Preferences > Hardware > Test Speakers? And it still only output to the left speaker? If so, I'd lean towards hardware issue. Have you tried booting with a LiveCD and checking if it still happens?

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu 11.04 and, yeah, I meant Sound Preferences (I translated from the italian). I tried it from a Ubuntu Live CD from USB (11.04), but it did not work anyway. Somebody exprienced the same problem (with notebooks and not netbooks), but they also said that everything worked fine on Windows in dual boot settings. That's why I'm not still completely sure that it is a hardware problem.

Arrow Re: Asus eee PC 1001 PX - Right audio speaker not working properly

I have the exact same problem, and the same computer as well, the right speaker doesn't work in ubuntu 11.04 (and 11.10 beta). I used 10.10 and at the time I sent my netbook to the store I bought it to get it fixed and by the time it came back I installed ubuntu natty and saw the right speaker wasn't working, but I thought it was broken when getting fixed (ironic, I know). Now I'm thinking it's a bug. I'm going to try with another OS to find out why this happens.

Beans

A few weeks ago I uninstalled 11.04 and installed 10.04, this time I had issues with headphones. When I listened to music with built-in speakers, it was ok, both the channels worked. Then, as soon as I plugged in the headphones, audio was not working anymore.

I don't want to go back to Windows and I won't (it's too slow on such a little machine) but at least on that OS sound worked out well. I hope Ubuntu developers keep these problems in mind and try to sort them out as soon as possible.

Lightbulb Re: Asus eee PC 1001 PX - Right audio speaker not working properly

I don't know for sure but I think Asus Eee PC 1001PX has only one speaker (just to the right side of the touchpad) that plays both channels, but I'm not sure, and I can't open it to see for myself. Maybe that's why Ubuntu can only play one channel now, it doesn't 'emulate' both channels on one speaker right with the kernel (I assume it's a driver issue) used.

Beans

I don't think it's like this. Or at least, it could also have a single channel, but it should work as if there were two. A few months ago, when I had installed 11.04, everything worked fine. Then, suddenly, after some updates I guess, this problem came out. I really hope the Ubuntu developers try to focus on this issue, with VLC and both channels working properly, a netbook with Ubuntu is really a worthy deal. Apart from watching movies (which is not the best thing with such a little screen, but it can work), any other common thing can be done, and listening to music, in my opinion, is one of the best thing one can do on a computer

i don't know. when i got my eeepc back from asus, 11.04 had already been released for some time and i installed, i thought it was a hardware problem. now i installed win8 to test it and the speaker works. when oneiric comes out i'll install it again and then file a bug in launchpad

Beans

Suddenly, everything's fixed and my sound works. I have not updated anything, the issue solved itself or something like that. Finally I'm able to listen to The Doors and many other groups as they deserve.
    Hope something like this happens to you as soon as possible. I don't think I'll update Ubuntu to 11.10, or at least, not as soon as it comes out. Maybe I'll wait the next LTS release, which should be in April.

I already have upgraded and apart from a few bugs, I believe that it's going to be an excellent release haven't tested the sound yet, will do tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast